[Rumor] Microsoft May Sell The Surface RT for $200 and Doesn't Care if it Angers OEMs

Discussion in 'Surface Forum Site News' started by dgstorm, Aug 17, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member

[​IMG]

Okay, so, a few days ago, we heard about this rumor that the first Microsoft Surface RT tablet would sell for just $199.99. Frankly, we weren't going to bite on it because it seems completely bogus; however, we have been seeing it roaming across the interwebs like a shadow, and it has actually received some separate additional press, so we are going to share it now. Please take this info as purely "rumor" with several grains of salt thrown in for good measure.

Supposedly, Microsoft plans to bring out the Microsoft Surface RT Tablet for exactly that price of $199.99, and additionally it doesn't care that it will likely grind its OEM partners into the dirt by doing so. Here's the quote from BGR with the details,

We are still highly skeptical, especially since DigiTimes has a dubious reputation at best. Still, if it did turn out to be true, it might actually propel Microsoft deep into the tablet market. In fact, at that price point, you might see the Surface crush its way into other markets as well. Share your thoughts.

Source: BGR

2. JoppeVR

JoppeVR New Member

Ok

This is a great price, I hope it will be this price if you buy an iPad you've got to pay $599 for 32gb with the Surface $199 I love to hear this

3. rubiksc00p

rubiksc00p New Member

I would take this with a semitruck of salt! I doubt they'll do that. I think there's probably a 10% chance. It wouldn't be wise at all to grind your friends into the dirt. They would most likely lose market share with that. Speaking of which, who actually makes the Surface? Sammy?

4. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    No, the Surface at last report was being made by some "unknown" manufacturer because all the major manufacturers were tied up making established devices. That may change though if they go into full scale production in the millions as is being rumored.