What's new

[Rumor] Microsoft RT Tablets Shipments Lower Than Expected; May Lower Price Soon

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
steve_ballmer-sadly-scratching-head.jpg

Although the source of this intel is a bit dubious due to a roller-coaster track record, the info seemed plausible enough to share. According to DigiTimes, shipments of the Microsoft RT tablets is far below Microsoft's projections. Instead of shipping 4 Million Windows RT tablets, they may have only shipped half that at 2 Million. Sadly, actual sales figures to retail customers is likely far below that. Supposedly, Windows RT devices other than the Surface have sold only 400,000 units. Even if sales of the actual Surface RT tablet are better than expected, this still does not bode well for a fast adoption of this mobile OS.

The only bright spot of this news is that these poor sales figures might just spur Microsoft to lower the price of the Surface RT after the launch of the new Surface Pro. Here's a quote with some additional detail,

The far below originally expected sales performance for Windows RT tablets is mainly because a large number of applications are not compatible with Windows RT and sales prices are relatively high, the sources said. Since Microsoft will ship the Windows 8-based Surface Pro soon, prices for Surface RT are likely to be lowered to clear inventories, the sources noted.

Microsoft has offered incentives to invite vendors launching Windows RT tablets to participate in development of second-generation Windows RT models, but these vendors have so far been unwilling to do so, the sources said.

Microsoft will have to consider something, otherwise their push into the mobile tablet market could come to a grinding halt. We have confidence they will figure out a way to get sales jump-started!

chatterbot

The price should have been $400, including the touch cover. it would have been a compelling deal. They priced themselves out of the market....very foolish. They should known $600 with the cover would have been far too high. they will lower it to $400 soon.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Why are they priced out of the market? Price is only one way to compete.

Surface RT 32GB $499
Apple iPad 4 32GB $599
Nexus 10 32GB $499

Seems to me to be in the right price range. None of those includes keyboards or covers. Do you think the Surface is so far lacking that it shouldn't be priced the same as the competition? What about the inclusion of Office? I just haven't been able to understand the argument that the price is not competitive as a blanket statement.

Where does Surface RT lag behind the others to the point that the price should be reduced $200 (and a fraction of the price of the competition) while including a keyboard/cover?

Sin

People seem to think that Microsoft intended for the Surfaces (RT & Pro) to be the only Windows tablets that anyone would buy similar to Apple. That would have been bad for Microsoft's relationship with the PC OEMs. I see the Surface as setting a bar to ensure that the OEMs don't release terrible devices. Microsoft released the Surface RT and now the OEM have to produce devices that compare favorably against it which is good for us consumers.

flight

It's not lacking and it actually surpasses the iPad in some ways, but the problem is that it doesn't blow it out of the water. If it's a slightly better tablet at a slightly lower price, it's not enough to disrupt the established leader. A majority of consumers don't spend time on forums, blogs, or subreddits - so if they hear that the iPad and Surface are about the same, they're going to stick with the safe choice. None of them have ever read a Surface review, but they have heard about the iPad from friends, family, and coworkers for almost three years.

Source: I'm from Farmertown, Flyover-state, USA, where there isn't another person I know that keeps up with tech news.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Lol good points. You are also assuming that MS wants to blow iPad sales out of the water. I think most companies are content have a fraction of Apples sales except for maybe Samsung. What about the Windows factor? Most people know and use Windows on a regular basis. Same for Office. They must have at least as much name recognition to the average person even if not the perceived "cool factor." Availability for the average person on the other hand...

bosamar

IMO Microsoft's first step into the tablet arena with the RT & Pro was very calculated. That's the reason it was only available online and their 40-50 some stores before Christmas. IMO their money is on v2 and beyond.

flight

My post was poorly worded. I'm not assuming that Microsoft wants to blow it out of the water in terms of sales; I meant that the Surface is only better by a small margin and isn't enough disrupt the market. As for Windows, yes, people definitely know Windows. But they don't know Surface. To many, the "Windows experience" is actually the "15-inch washed-out screen, plastic Celeron Acer with 2-hours of battery life experience." Generally, the "Apple experience" is pretty good, despite the limitations. Again, they'll go with the safe choice.

josephorjinta

Mobile BroadBand for Microsoft Surface

Speculation, yes?

Micrsoft should provide Mobile Broadband feature for the Surface

HP hs3120 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband
with SIM Slot to gain the African Market, Wifi Internet Connectivity is limited.
The ElitePad has it, why is it missing on the Surface.

Sin

with SIM Slot to gain the African Market, Wifi Internet Connectivity is limited.

Microsoft choose to not bother with mobile broadband due to a few factors from what I have read. Most tablets purchased are WiFi only and of the cellular enabled devices only some of them are ever used on their cellular connection. Then there is the issue of the various radios that need to be supported to cover the various needs around the world.

J515OP

Super Moderator

Hi Joseph, I understand that it is a desirable feature for you but the fact is that 9 out of 10 tablets sold are wifi only. Of those tablets purchased that do have a mobile data option only a fraction are ever activated. So in terms of real numbers very few people utilize a mobile data connection even when they have the option. It is a strategic decision to not include the option based on the statistics of use.

Even so, there are other ways to get mobile data on the Surface by utilizing the usb port, tethering to a phone or via a personal hot spot device.

Edit: Beat by Sin