What's new

Solved Running 16:9 Monitor from Mini Display with SP3

The doomed

I've just got a docking station and monitor for the office, however the monitor is 16:9 rather than the 3:2 used by the device itself.

I'd much prefer the additional monitor to have a greater resolution.

Anything I can do?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Are you attempting to Screen Mirror or Extend? Mirroring will change the SP3 resolution to match the external monitor as long as it is within the range the SP3 supports (1920x1200 max IIRC) and extending will allow both to run at their native resolution.

OP
T

The doomed

Ah, I see the difference now.

Extending would be best. However I'd prefer my desktop to display on the external monitor. On setting that, my cursor seems to want to remain on my SP3 display.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, I see the difference now.

Extending would be best. However I'd prefer my desktop to display on the external monitor. On setting that, my cursor seems to want to remain on my SP3 display.
From the Screen Resolution in the Display Control Panel you can set you external monitor as the default and it should do what you are wanting.

OP
T

The doomed

Thanks. So I can get the desktops to view as I'd wish. However when I opening any program it wants to open on my SP3 display.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Drag it to the other monitor and close the Window and reopen, it should now remember where it was (the act of remembering is built into the OS - its a feature ;) ).

Gary.M

I have started projecting rather than mirroring or extending to my monitor which is 1920x1080. Saves me any hassle with the cursor getting stuck on one screen or the other and with resolution problems. I'm guessing it must save some battery too as the sp3 screen isn't on.

OP
T

The doomed

Thanks! All sorted. Think issue I was really having with settings I had applied was which monitor was physically sitting left and right which was stopping my cursor doing what I would expect of it.

All is now well. Thanks again