What's new

Running a VM

gtext

Currently running a XP (for some older programs) VM in Parallels on the Mac. I want to run this VM on a SP3 i7 when I get one. Plan at this stage to do this in VMware player using VMware vCentre converter Standalone to convert it. This I'm told on the VMware player forums is possible. Still have to try it though.

Anyone have any advice regarding doing this and would this run OK on the SP3.

Teddy Playgroup

I would think it would work...I haven't really tried to move a VM over yet (I used Workstation 10 MS) But if you have enough RAM to support it ...I say go for it ...I have the i5 with 4GB so I'm kinda nervous and I think I'd feel safer with a 8GB or more Surface

dleuen

The other issue you might run into is the display scaling. Since the SP3 has tiny pixels, Windows scales everything at 150% by default.

Another alternative to VMware Player is Virtualbox. Not sure if it will do BT though. Both VMware Player and VirtualBox are type 2 hypervisors but Hyper-V is type 1 and it does not support Connected Standby so you will loose that if you go with Hyper-V.

Also Parallels used to make a Windows version of Parallels Desktop or something like that. Do they still sell and support that?

pcom

I'm also curious about USB. I seem to recall trying to use Hyper-V to run a Linux system and fiddle with some USB devices but ran into problems. Sorry I can't seem to recall more about it right now.