What's new

Running out of disk space

PeterF

Help! Help! My 32 GB Surface RT now only has 5 GB of disk space left and it goes lower each time I get updates from Microsoft. I have done everything I can think of to make extra space ( move all doc, video and download files to the SD chip -- D drive). I have compressed C drive, run the cleanup for all temp files, etc. I have a few small apps but cannot delete them because they are no longer in the App Shop. I have moved the restore files to a USB disk and removed the restore partition. If I want to refresh the OS it says I need 900 MB of extra space on C drive which I cannot get with out deleting Program Files or System files. I would like to delete all Office updates ( I don't use office much) but cannot see a "delete" button on the uninstall/ change page.

Also cannot find where to roll back restore points, nor how I can get to the registry settings if I need to make changes.

Before I run out of space, can someone please tell me what can I do to stop updates and get some disk space back? This is also going to affect other RT users with only a 32 GB disk.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Peter, welcome. I can't offer any advice regarding RT I'm afraid, but I've edited your thread title. the How To prefix is reserved for tutorials.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you run Disk Cleanup and used the "Cleanup System Files" option then selected the option to cleanup Windows Update files/Temporary Windows Installation files/Windows.old or anything in the list with significant size?

Also, what is the size of the Users directory including subdirectories?

Last edited:
OP
P

PeterF

Have you run Disk Cleanup and used the "Cleanup System Files" option then selected the option to cleanup Windows Update files/Temporary Windows Installation files/Windows.old or anything in the list with significant size?

Also, what is the size of the Users directory including subdirectories?

Hi GreyFox7, I have already done all the cleanup stuff you listed above. Size of Users directory is 1.26 GB (862 MB on disk). Nothing much in personal folders. Seems most of the files are in AppData and AppsLayouts folders. Not sure if we can delete stuff here though. I had to uninstall the News and Microsoft Email apps previously and found I recovered a lot of space.

Any other ideas? Please.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Change how much you are syncing to the mail client - sync only a couple of days worth. Also clean up any cached data from the App Settings...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi GreyFox7, I have already done all the cleanup stuff you listed above. Size of Users directory is 1.26 GB (862 MB on disk). Nothing much in personal folders. Seems most of the files are in AppData and AppsLayouts folders. Not sure if we can delete stuff here though. I had to uninstall the News and Microsoft Email apps previously and found I recovered a lot of space.

Any other ideas? Please.
Ok, so that's not really much...
Id say to clean this if you were to do so I'd create a new user id. migrate everything to the new ID, make it an admin then when your satisfied whack the old userid and delete the userid directory which will clear all cruft within.

Although there's probably better fishing elsewhere...
Check directory sizes of
Program Files
program file x86
Program data
Windows
Drill down as necessary to locate hidden treasures.
Anything else that looks interesting.

Re:
I would like to delete all Office updates ( I don't use office much) but cannot see a "delete" button on the uninstall/ change page.

Are you saying you want to uninstall Office?
I suppose you could do that in order to do a reset however there's the issue of Apps you don't want to lose. I'm not sure but it might be possible to extract and save the AppPackages... Id probably make an Image of your current system first to ensure we can get back to this point of anything goes wrong.

Last edited: