What's new

Rust on bottom of Surface/keyboard spline

jefhart

I was attaching my type cover today and noticed a thin line of what appears to be rust along the spline. I'd say it is about .25"x 3 mm. I looked at the bottom of my SP2 and noticed an identical spot where it connects. I have never had this device near liquid or humidity so I thought it might have been something else but after Googling it I found a couple people with the same problem. Apparently it has something to do with the magnets. None of those pages had any real info so I thought this would be a good place to get answers and see if anyone else is experiencing this. I will try to remember to take pics later.

OP
jefhart

jefhart

Good find! Has anyone besides Great had this happen? I'm not quite sure how it rusts in the first place.

GoodBytes

No issue on mine so far.
All I can guess is that the paint of the magnet at the bottom is getting removed from scratches, and because it's iron, it rusts.

Here's a pic of my touch cover
20140420_085153.jpg

GoodBytes

WOW! that is after you cleaned it?
I think it's a molding issue, where the magnet is too close to the plastic, where it rusts.

WOW! that is after you cleaned it?
I think it's a molding issue, where the magnet is too close to the plastic, where it rusts.

No, that's without a clean. When I find time I'll wipe it down and see how it comes up.

EDIT:
Here's a shot after a wipe. Presumably the pattern you can see is from placement of the magnets.
20140420_155414.jpg

Last edited: