What's new

S3; Poor performance with web applications.

simrj002

Hi,

Just picked up the 4gb/128 S3 model and for all intents and purposes I am really happy.

One thing I had hoped to do on the unit that I'm struggling with is using it for editing and collaborating in google docs. Unfortunately the performance is far too slow to be usable. I have noticed that web performance in all browsers is pretty poor(but usable) but as soon as I try to use a cloud application it is just too frustrating.

Symptoms persist regardless of router. System is up to date, clean and there is plenty of memory available.

Is the Atom chip just not cut out foe this type of work? All my desktop programs run great.

OP
S

simrj002

I have tried the most common browsers. IE desktop and metro, Firefox, Chrome and Opera. IE metro got the best performance but it was still unusable.

OP
S

simrj002

That's a good theory but then shouldn't I experience the same issue on an SP3, which I don't. Also I get similar performance slumps in office products for example when editing a word document in the desktop application when the document is sitting in one drive. If I drag the document to the desktop performance is great.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That's a good theory but then shouldn't I experience the same issue on an SP3, which I don't. Also I get similar performance slumps in office products for example when editing a word document in the desktop application when the document is sitting in one drive. If I drag the document to the desktop performance is great.
What are you using for Antivirus? I've seen Google services struggle with new SoC implementation previously but if you're experiencing with Office as well its sounds like something in the network stack or network.

OP
S

simrj002

I'm using bit defender. I have to admit I haven't tried it with antivirus off. I installed the antivirus before I tested these things

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen issues with Bit Defender, there is a thread about it on the SP3 forum....

InspectHerGadget

I agree it would be worth removing the antivirus. It could be on an Atom processor you might be better just removing all security products and just use the built in Windows Defender. I would check your internet speed also when this problem happens.