What's new

Safely eject usb in metro ui???

Theguru

hi all,

Can't seem to find it anywhere I know you can do it on the desktop but within metro ui?? Tried " devices "obviously and there are no options any ideas??

Windows 8..

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried the rundll thingy and it didn't seem to work for me but that link with instructions for creating the shortcut with script is a keeper.

TBH I haven't used USB Disk Ejector but it was mentioned and linked to by multiple sites so I hope it works :)

You can use Explorer to Eject a device as well ...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Windows really doesn't need to eject USB Mass Storage Devices, you should be able just to remove the device, the only exception would be a very old USB 1.1 device....

OP
T

Theguru

Windows really doesn't need to eject USB Mass Storage Devices, you should be able just to remove the device, the only exception would be a very old USB 1.1 device....

You do..otherwise you increase the risk of losing data...

spinachpie

I kicked the cable whilst transferring some files from my old external USB drive to my SP3 and the entire thing just corrupted and lost all my old files :(

Did the same with my USB 3.0 WD external drive and nothing happened. I do always like to eject for safety though.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I kicked the cable whilst transferring some files from my old external USB drive to my SP3 and the entire thing just corrupted and lost all my old files :(

Did the same with my USB 3.0 WD external drive and nothing happened. I do always like to eject for safety though.
That might depend on the timing and possibly updating the Master File Table at that precise moment. File system resiliency technology may minimize that but by comparison I used to do DB support (one of my varied career moves back in the dark ages when equipment and power were not as reliable) on a system that had a very robust recovery mechanism and despite best efforts data loss was not always avoidable.

"I do always like to eject for safety though" Always better safe than sorry. :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You do..otherwise you increase the risk of losing data...
Nope....The Windows USB Mass Storage Driver prevents this unless you remove it in the middle of a copy....this has been true since the NT 5.0 Kernel.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think i have ever performed the safely remove hardware process. I've never once had an issue.

And the phrase "increase the risk" is pretty meaningless without context. You increase the risk by simply plugging the device in.