What's new

SB crashes when playing a video from facebook site... getting frustrating

bangsters

Hey. Anyone else encounter the same issue, where when you go to facebook using the edge browser, the whole surface book freezes until you press the power button or the detach button.... this is seriously starting to get frustrating.... all updates are installed but it seems the book is getting less stable that before....

OP
B

bangsters

Am I the only one with this issue? I have already wiped the book and reinstalled. still same result when using edge.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That is typically a video card issue, I had it on my SP4 with one of the earlier drivers. We need more info...is yours a Dual GPU or straight Intel? Have you applied all of the updates. Is Flash disabled or enabled in Edge?

OP
B

bangsters

I have the dedicated gpu. All updates installed, and I am jot on insider builds. Edge is default configuration, I never saw any option regarding flash.

Thanks

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You can enable or disable Flash in the Advanced Settings

upload_2016-3-11_7-48-53.png

upload_2016-3-11_7-49-26.png

upload_2016-3-11_7-50-17.png

OP
B

bangsters

Hey thanks for the reply. Yes it does happen in clipboard mode but not as often as when in laptop mode. Flash is enabled as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Should I switch to insider builds?

OP
B

bangsters

Thanks. So over the weekend I have disabled the Use Adobe Flash setting, and so far it hasn't crashed the system yet while browsing. Won't this prevent me though from viewing sites that are flash driven?

leeshor

It may indeed not display some Flash, but the majority of it you will not even notice as much of it was ads anyway.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was recently a Flash update for multiple exploits (again) ... It seems delivering exploits is what it's best at. just turn it off and leave it off.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. So over the weekend I have disabled the Use Adobe Flash setting, and so far it hasn't crashed the system yet while browsing. Won't this prevent me though from viewing sites that are flash driven?
Flash is in a death spiral and most sites are offering HTML 5 content as well as Flash, so if Flash Plugins are not detected they will default to HTML 5. And personally a site that doesn't isn't worth my time.