What's new

Scratchy patches?

OP
Nucleon

Nucleon

possibly, but I've never tried a test like that. You should contact Microsoft's answer desk and describe your problem in detail to see if it's liable of a replacement.

ctitanic

Hello, after drawing for a while on my Surface Pro 3, I've noticed that the gorilla glass screen has 2 somewhat "scratchy" feeling small patches near the left of the screen. I don't feel them with fingers, I can feel them a bit with fingernails, but I feel it most prominently with the surface pen. No amount of wiping with microfiber cloth will remove them, and I'm just wondering how common this is with the SP3.

They don't get in the way much, but it is annoying to be reminded them every once in a while whenever my pen seems to catch onto them. Usually, my pen strokes are strong enough to overcome them with much resistance at all, but if I was drawing finer details, I'd definitely know they're there, and that they're in the same place. I can't see them at all either - the reflections look absolutely perfect with the screen turned off and on.

So here, I have 2 options.

1. buy an illumishield screen protector. I've heard good things from them, and it seems people feel no difference. I already have a bunch of settings, programs and files installed for my own stuff on this, so it would be somewhat of an inconvenience to return it.

2. return it for a new one - let's face it, I really hate returning products after setting them up and getting used to them, and from past experiences, doing this will make me even more paranoid of the second product, leading me to believe things such as having more defects than the one I returned, or constantly exchanging until I have a perfect production model in terms of hardware.

Let me know which option I should go for if any at all, and what you think about this. I know people have had this problem before, and if it was caused by me, how I can avoid it in the future. If anyone else has had this problem, please tell me of your experiences, and ask me any questions if you have them.

Edit: I have opened up sketchbook pro on a full screen to draw at the scratchy surfaces. the 2 most dark points are where they are, if you open up the image on fullscreen on your SP3, that's exactly where i feel the scratches with my surface pen.

ZNDOzvH.png

Edit 2: Microsoft tech support has confirmed this is a problem, and that I'm liable for a replacement through either my retailer or an RMA covered under warranty. I think I'm within my return period so I'd like to be able to work with a functional device ASAP.
If they said it's a defect, do not wait a second to exchange it.

ctitanic

Not sure but could this be the same with what I have experienced with the two surface I've received? The spots on the screen arent visible, but with fingerprints around it you can see the affected part is immune to dirt.
to me these are defects.

gpsurface

yep, exchanged it this morning. My new screen seems to be flawless.
Great to know that you have received a scratch/patch free device. I have yet to deal with Microsoft Singapore customer service once again which is a long process... took me 3 weeks to receive a replacement which was still defective. Hope to get it sorted soon

Attachments

• screenn- pro 2.jpg
    screenn- pro 2.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 419

gpsurface

Yes, I can feel a slight hump or rough surface as the pen passes through the marks. I am very curious how much are affected by these or probably some do not bother to notice them but it was confirmed to me by the customer service that it is a defect. Two surfaces with same screen issue

Oh wow, so you can feel them with your pen?

OP
Nucleon

Nucleon

Yes, I can feel a slight hump or rough surface as the pen passes through the marks. I am very curious how much are affected by these or probably some do not bother to notice them but it was confirmed to me by the customer service that it is a defect. Two surfaces with same screen issue
dang, that really sucks.

Financials

I have one stop near top left side, rough scratchy feeling with pen but don't notice anything else. had it before on another surface model I returned too.

OP
Nucleon

Nucleon

I have one stop near top left side, rough scratchy feeling with pen but don't notice anything else. had it before on another surface model I returned too.
in the same place within the display area? sounds like a batch problem if you still had it with the replacement