What's new

Screen brightness SP3 VS SP1

Surface User

I noticed when i adjusted the screen brightness to full (100 percent) on both the SP3 and the SP1 and had them beside each other that the SP1 was much brighter att full brightness compared to the SP3.
I dont know if it´s that much but it´s clearly a visible difference.
Is this only happenening with my units or do you also see the same thing in yours if you compare them with each other?
I would appreciate if somebody could check this thing with your units.

P.S. Both units are i5 and the SP1 has 128 GB and the SP3 has 256 GB, if that for some reason should matter?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to a couple sources the SP3 has a max screen brightness of 371 nits while the SP1 has a max of 400 nits.

I never had a SP1 but the Surface 2 is also rated at 400 nits and it will definitely get brighter than the SP3 at max although I usually use them set to about the same brightness.

LukeJoseph

Not quite sure why companies list brightness as a "feature". Yes outdoors it helps, but just about any modern display gets plenty bright, more problems are caused by glare.

371 nits = 371 cd/m2 = 108.28 ftL. A lot of professional photo, video editors (really anyone needing color accuracy and reduced eye strain) calibrate their monitors between 120 and 180 cd/m2.

OP
Surface User

Surface User

Okay well seems thats the explanation then. The brightness of the SP3 is enough for me, just wondered if this is something intentional as it seems to be, or if there was something defective going on with my SP3?
Actually i have my brightness setting a bit less then half, i can't say a number since the brightness setting in settings are not shoving a number for the brightness.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not quite sure why companies list brightness as a "feature". Yes outdoors it helps, but just about any modern display gets plenty bright, more problems are caused by glare.

371 nits = 371 cd/m2 = 108.28 ftL. A lot of professional photo, video editors (really anyone needing color accuracy and reduced eye strain) calibrate their monitors between 120 and 180 cd/m2.
Now I got to go get a light meter D'oh! :)