What's new

Screen doesn't turn on after sleep?

Hi,

Occasionally (seems to be when I change location) when I try and wake my surface Pro 4 from sleep, the screen doesn't turn on. The little red LED light does turn on, however. I have Windows Hello enabled.

Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

With default settings most are having that problem. You haven't been here long;);)

Try changing your power settings to hibernate rather than sleep. The problem would appear to be video driver related. Microsoft is aware of the problem and is working with Intel on a fix.

JordanAT

If you don't want to switch to hibernate, press Win+P, wait two seconds, then Win+P again. It will force the SP4 to "find" your panel and will turn it on. This has a pretty high success rate.

wynand32

If you don't want to switch to hibernate, press Win+P, wait two seconds, then Win+P again. It will force the SP4 to "find" your panel and will turn it on. This has a pretty high success rate.

Yep, I've found that works on mine, which I picked up on Saturday. Of course, it's problematic if you don't have the keyboard on hand.

JordanAT

Yep, I've found that works on mine, which I picked up on Saturday. Of course, it's problematic if you don't have the keyboard on hand.

Hmmm...this isn't really a solution, but if you don't use one of the click-actions on the pen (single click for OneNote, dbl click for screen shot, log click for ...whatever long click does), you could use an app like AutoHotKey to remap it to Win+P. It's a bit of a kludge, but if you are tablet+pen only, it would be a potentially better option than a forced reboot.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Beta Video Driver has fixed this issue as well, I haven't needed to use the Windows+P trick for it to come out of Sleep or Hibernate :)

Philtastic

Nice, I've been having this problem lately. What's interesting is that, if you hold down the power button, the screen will display your lock screen showing the bottom half of the screen but rendered in the top half, thus it seems that the rendering location is merely awry rather than not being able to render to the screen at all.

Darnellmc

For anyone not having success with Win + P. Try pressing the power button, so the keyboard lights up and then press Control + Alt + Del . This seems to help if there is ever a case where Win + P fails.

Just had this happen to me this morning. Tried doing a hard shutdown several times, but it took forever to get it to come back up. Guess I will wait for the new driver to address this. Can someone give me the affected driver version so I can confirm?

Thx