What's new

Screen Protector worth it?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a type protector at all times but that hasn't stopped my screen protector from getting scratches, which is why I am thankful of having my screen protectors...

You have to remember that most screen protectors are a LOT less hardy than gorilla glass. A scratch on a screen protector does not necessarily equate to a scratch on the gorilla glass.

kundas1

yes tell that to one of my phones and many of folks I have read who scratched their Lumia 1520's because they had it in their pockets with change or keys or whatever else they had with it and didn't have a screen protector and have scratches on their screens... to me a screen protector is so cheap to NOT have one on an expensive device and take a chance...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
yes tell that to one of my phones and many of folks I have read who scratched their Lumia 1520's because they had it in their pockets with change or keys or whatever else they had with it and didn't have a screen protector and have scratches on their screens... to me a screen protector is so cheap to NOT have one on an expensive device and take a chance...

I couldn't care about your friends experiences. My point is perfectly valid. A scratch on a screen protector does not necessarily equate to a scratch on the screen. It's simple physics.

And personally, I put a screen protector on my phone, and it ruined the experience, so I got rid of it. Exactly the same story with protective cases. I have no issue with people using them, but not for me thanks, I've never experienced a screen protector that doesn't create an inferior user experience. I like to practice common sense. I've a minimum of 4 pockets at any time, why would I put my phone and keys in the same one? It's not that hard to put keys and change in one pocket and your phone in another. Same kind of reason a laptop or tablet case has a separate pocket for your accessories, and not just one pocket with everything jammed in there.

I could have bought a cheap screen p[rotector to protect the device, but I opted instead to spend significantly more on the extended warranty. I'll take user experience over cost any day.

kundas1

and I couldn't care about your point and your point doesn't make it valid! I've seen with my own eyes what happens when people don't use screen protectors... you think screen protectors ruin the experience? then that's your opinion and doesn't mean anything to me... maybe try using a glass screen protector? might get a better experience... you wanna take a chance and ruining your device that's your prerogative, ME im not gonna leave it to chance for $2 bucks.. maybe your too cheap to pay for a screen protector? but not me.

vxm

Such statements are usually made by people with less than those two poor brain cells.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
and I couldn't care about your point and your point doesn't make it valid! I've seen with my own eyes what happens when people don't use screen protectors... you think screen protectors ruin the experience? then that's your opinion and doesn't mean anything to me... maybe try using a glass screen protector? might get a better experience... you wanna take a chance and ruining your device that's your prerogative, ME im not gonna leave it to chance for $2 bucks.. maybe your too cheap to pay for a screen protector? but not me.

First you talk glass now you're talking $2..

I am not telling people that screen protectors are of no use. Everyone uses a device differently, its up to them and ultimately only they will know. The emphasis on my point was simply that a scratch on a screen protector does not necessarily equate to a scratch on a screen. That was the way you made your point, and I added a 'but'.

Personally though, given you ask, I use no screen protector on any device other than common sense. My phone goes in its own pocket, tablets have a neoprene/leather sleeve or type cover. But I went the extra mile and bought extended warranty. I can justify the price for that, but £40 or whatever it is for a tempered glass screen protector is just mad to me. I just remind myself how much I paid for the device and treat it accordingly.

You like them, I don't. Nothing to get mad about. Income is definitely something to consider in this debate. I'm just a chef/university student paying for a flat in London, the kinds of screen protectors worth owning are not entirely viable for me. I just take extra care and its worked out fine.

kundas1

yea I got glass ones for $1.99 on eBay and worth it!

@hughile glass screen protectors are so cheap, please don't tell me you can't afford $2 or $4 bucks! and I wasn't getting mad but I will say I didn't like your attitude or response to my post that you don't care about my opinion because I feel that having a screen protector is totally worth it? because I've seen on my phones, tablets and whatever else they do protect from scratches and also I've seen other friends and seen online that NOT having a screen protector is not smart... YOU don't wanna get a screen protector then that's your prerogative, but don't come crying here that you got a scratch on your screen.

Zippy0n

Cant believe people are talking about whether or not to get a screen protector, its common sense than in the event of an accident you know that it has that extra protection, just like a seatbelt! I voted UKIP yes :)

kundas1

Cant believe people are talking about whether or not to get a screen protector, its common sense than in the event of an accident you know that it has that extra protection, just like a seatbelt! I voted UKIP yes :)

better analogy is condoms, better safe than sorry LOL same thing for screen protectors ;) that's my philosophy :)