What's new

Screen Protector

Mr.whiskers

Yes, please do keep us posted! I'm in the market for a new screen protector and I'm definitely interested in what your thoughts of the Phantom Glass are.

OP
G

GoodBytes

Was my review helpful? Do you have any questions?

I'll be receiving another one, and I'll use the current one for testing the scratch resistance of the glass. But I don't know when I'll have time exactly, it will all depend when the other one is coming.

My goal of the scratch test is to be more realistic in testing to scratch. For example, someone places the Surface down on a table, but the glass is touching the table, and someone slides it. I'll test screws droping on it, sliding a plastic ruler, sliding a paper with a paper clip and staple on it, and things like that. I think these would be more meaningful tests then doing what other reviewers do, which are usually super extreme unrealistic situation or simply doesn't represent everyday events that could scratch the glass surface.

Last edited:

revmike

Thank you Goodbytes for taking the time to write an excellent review. I'm disappointed about the size discrepancy, hopefully that will be rectified in the future.

OP
G

GoodBytes

Thank you Goodbytes for taking the time to write an excellent review. I'm disappointed about the size discrepancy, hopefully that will be rectified in the future.
I have contacted the company about the issue. And the size of the device is actually for the Surface 1 (not Pro 1). They decided to merge the Surface 1, 2, Pro 1 and Pro 2, as the screen protector does the job, near perfect for the Pro 1 and 2, and beside the Surface 2, they are all discontinued. I think the company doesn't see that the Surface 2 sold well, and/or sees that the Surface 3 will comes out sometime this year, and be like the Pro 3. in shape and size. So it kinda did a 1 size fits all.

revmike

Thanks for contacting the company, this size information stops me from purchasing one. I know that there is no perfect screen protector, but at that price, it's a no sale for me.

OP
G

GoodBytes

I tried TechArmor before, same story. The screen protector too short. I tried also the anti-glare one, this one the screen protector is the right size, but the camera hole is wrongly placed. They didn't want to fix it as the Surface Pro 2 is discontinued. Both screen protector ClearHD and anti-glare were really not great.

Clear HD interfere with the touch experience, and scratches easily. Not to mention that it wasn't clear at all. It added a layer of blue tint, visible at angles, which made dark scenes when movie watching annoying, as you saw that blue tint. Added resistance to the pen when writing.

Anti-Glare one, made your finger slide well, and it was anti-glare, but the pen lost a lot of precision (you can't write small), and text was hard to read. Blue tint color was still there.

Both had large camera holes, which is ugly.