What's new

Screen protectors for SP3?

SeeVuPlay

I installed the Iluumishield. Can't tell it's on. There is quite a bit more friction when writing, and I've noticed the pen tip has started to wear. Other than that, it's great.

that's a bummer....I ordered the Ghost Armor and installed it yesterday, and it was a work of art LOL. Then I started using the pen and their was a LOT of resistance. I also noticed the pen tip wearing away. So, Im going to return it. I just ordered the Illuumishield.....I guess that will be going back as well.

cdf3

I noticed the resistance when using the pen when I first installed my Illumishield screen protector.
Once I started using the touch screen with my fingers, oil residue from my fingers began to make the screen protector somewhat slippery. The resistance with the pen I experienced before was no longer there.
Even if I wipe my screen off with a micro-fiber cloth, it still keeps that somewhat slippery effect.
If you never use the touchscreen with your fingers to break it in, then it will most likely always have that rigid feel.

yonghong

that's a bummer....I ordered the Ghost Armor and installed it yesterday, and it was a work of art LOL. Then I started using the pen and their was a LOT of resistance. I also noticed the pen tip wearing away. So, Im going to return it. I just ordered the Illuumishield.....I guess that will be going back as well.
Why both going back?

ipaq_101

has anyone tried or ordered the tempered glass screen protector? I tried a similar product on my galaxy s4 phone and it works like a real glass on top of the screen, so it must be great for the surface pen.

http://tinyurl.com/mn64955
$19.98 (but shipped from China)

*update* found one on Amazon.com http://tinyurl.com/mm3gy28
I don't know about this, the thickness of the glass would have some issues from how far the pen is to the sensors on the actual screen. Not worth the risk for $40, please try it and let us know how it works.

ipaq_101

for everyone concerned about illumnishield wearing the pen nib, are you sure its not normal wear? I have been to 3 MS stores and 3 best buy stores, all with wear on the nib and those sp3s were naked without protection.

SeeVuPlay

So none of them are perfect, our SP3 have to be naked?

Im not sure... i know i like the ghost armour, but the resistance is far too strong for using the pen...writing becomes futile, as if there was some sort of barrier shield that is impenetrable, resulting in massive loss of energy in my writing arm, rendering the rest of the day...incomplete.

SeeVuPlay

I noticed the resistance when using the pen when I first installed my Illumishield screen protector.
Once I started using the touch screen with my fingers, oil residue from my fingers began to make the screen protector somewhat slippery. The resistance with the pen I experienced before was no longer there.
Even if I wipe my screen off with a micro-fiber cloth, it still keeps that somewhat slippery effect.
If you never use the touchscreen with your fingers to break it in, then it will most likely always have that rigid feel.

I havent returned the ghost armor yet...I went ahead and installed the full body armor minus the screen protection...after about a week, Im going to run the pen across it and see what it feels like. thanks for the input!

Update: I installed the screen protector this morning. I am happy to report that once the screen sets a little (or perhaps gets oily like the previous posts state), the pen works better. I'm not 100% sure I like it enough to keep it on there, but all indications are that it will work and doesn't have resistance like when it is fairly newly applied.

Last edited:
I hope the illumishield works for sketching as well since I sketch quite a bit. I ordered their ultra HD clarity and the matte HD. I wanted to make the surface glass feel more like paper.

ipaq_101

I hope the illumishield works for sketching as well since I sketch quite a bit. I ordered their ultra HD clarity and the matte HD. I wanted to make the surface glass feel more like paper.

If you read the reviews on amazon, the hd ones are good, the tint and matte ones cause excessive nib wear and tear.