What's new

Screen resolution puzzle

stsalkit

Please have a look at the following screen clip
upload_2015-6-21_12-50-58.png

I do not understand the "current" and "work" resolutions reported which are far below the resolution of 2160x1440 selected! Any ideas?

dajogejr

1440 * 960 is what I run on mine since I dock it at work and use 100% dpi scaling.
I have a 23" monitor at work. That is a custom resolution, is this your tablet or is it work issued, etc?
Do you happen to use it with an external monitor?

OP
S

stsalkit

...No - I do not use an external monitor. The funny thing is that a couple of lines below it shows the monitor width and height correct!.
This is my own Sp3 - as it came out of the box!

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
...No - I do not use an external monitor. The funny thing is that a couple of lines below it shows the monitor width and height correct!.
This is my own Sp3 - as it came out of the box!
What ever tool you're using doesn't properly report DPI scaling hence the reported resolution...

olimjj

Please have a look at the following screen clip
View attachment 6317

I do not understand the "current" and "work" resolutions reported which are far below the resolution of 2160x1440 selected! Any ideas?
The reason you are showing a current resolution of 1440 x 960 is because i assume you have you have set your scaling to 150%
Hr =2160/1.5 =1440
Vr =1440/1.5 = 960

OP
S

stsalkit

The reason you are showing a current resolution of 1440 x 960 is because i assume you have you have set your scaling to 150%
Hr =2160/1.5 =1440
Vr =1440/1.5 = 960
I did not set anything myself! Can you please direct me where I can check your suggestion? where is this setting?

olimjj

I did not set anything myself! Can you please direct me where I can check your suggestion? where is this setting?
Go to your desktop screen
Right click on the desktop to pull up a menu
Choose Screen Resolution
this window will show you your default resolution
Select "make text and other items larger or smaller" near the bottom of this window
The next window will show you the scaling that has been chosen
Hope this helps

lhauser

Go to your desktop screen
Right click on the desktop to pull up a menu
Choose Screen Resolution
this window will show you your default resolution
Select "make text and other items larger or smaller" near the bottom of this window
The next window will show you the scaling that has been chosen
Hope this helps

This is my go-to place after resets/reinstalls. My 200% scaling is larger than I'd like, but it makes everything visible to these old eyes.

OP
S

stsalkit

This is my go-to place after resets/reinstalls. My 200% scaling is larger than I'd like, but it makes everything visible to these old eyes.
Thank you for the replies. What I noticed however, is the change in the scaling factor from default to smaller or bigger, it affects the "modern" part of Windows - desktop remains unaffected! Is this normal?