What's new

Screen wakeup

coolowl

Several days ago I unchecked the box under Power Management in the USB Root Hub (xHCl) under Universal Serial Bus Controllers in Device Manager.

Since doing that my screen has reawakened every time by pushing the power button on the side. Prior to this it was a hit and miss on reawakening. At least once a day i had to hold down the power button about 20 seconds or so until all the keyboard lights went out. Then, I'd push it again and usually the computer would restart. A bit of a pain, but workable.

However, if unchecking that USB thing is really going to keep allowing the Surface to awaken by just pushing the power button once I'll be very pleased indeed.

Question. I have no idea what that USB Root Hub does. Am i going to need to put the checkmark back at some point so that something will work?

ScottyS

I only occasionally had the problem you describe (sometimes hard to get it to wake with one push of power button) but I also have a problem when it's plugged into a USB hub with several HDs and stuff, if I push the power button which is set to have it sleep, it's sleep for a minute and then come on again. I'd have to push the power button a second time ti get it to stay asleep.
I just tried your suggestion and it seems to have work (will have to see it work several times to be sure).
It seems when check it allows the Surface to put other USB connected devices to sleep.

I've about had it with the screen wake-up issue. I just had it fail in front of about 200 people at a conference. Was taking at my table, moved to the podium to present and accidentally hit the power button and it wouldn't wake up. Had 200 people stare at me while I had to reboot and get back to my place in the presentation. Very frustrating and embarrassing.

ScottyS

After about the 4th or 5th time I pushed power button to put it into sleep it wouldn't wake without forcing shutdown by holding power button for > 20 seconds and then re-booting. So it seems unchecking Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power in USB Root Hub (xHCI) doesn't fix that.

jojomondag

Im having this problem aswell. Is there a windows support forum for this? i talked with Microsoft in my country. They suggested to format my tablet, as seen here to my Format Surface Pro not to happy that i need to do this but i will try it. I also have the issue of my pen stopping to work from time to time this fix itself with a restart still annoying though. Other then that i love the Product.

bluegrass

Here's how I always keep my Surface set and have never had a problem.

upload_2016-5-19_14-29-37.png

ScottyS

I have those settings too and it never does go to sleep while plugged in until I want to have it sleep. But whether I use Start Menu/Power/Sleep or push the power button or close the type cover (have those set to go to sleep for both plugged in and on battery) it often pops back on again after a few seconds of sleep and sometimes when asleep it comes on without the screen coming on (it gets hot) or it wont turn on when I push the power button and I have to hold the power button for 20 seconds to force it off and then reboot.

These are not new problems and have been plaguing many on this forum since the SP1 and I believe a lot (if not all) these problems stem from MS wanting it to be like an iPad so it can get notifications while asleep and they introduced connected standby and it's never worked right.

pharkas

Several days ago I unchecked the box under Power Management in the USB Root Hub (xHCl) under Universal Serial Bus Controllers in Device Manager.

Since doing that my screen has reawakened every time by pushing the power button on the side. Prior to this it was a hit and miss on reawakening. At least once a day i had to hold down the power button about 20 seconds or so until all the keyboard lights went out. Then, I'd push it again and usually the computer would restart. A bit of a pain, but workable.

However, if unchecking that USB thing is really going to keep allowing the Surface to awaken by just pushing the power button once I'll be very pleased indeed.

Question. I have no idea what that USB Root Hub does. Am i going to need to put the checkmark back at some point so that something will work?

I just want to support this as well. I have been having wakeup issues since the day I bought my surface. After unchecking this box, I have had no issues with wake-up. Supposedly it can affect power drain when the computer is in sleep mode, but I haven't had any issues like that.

friedduck

We have this issue as well, for SP3 and SP4 units. The device seems to sleep or awaken on a whim, and never when you want. I've stopped buying them for our company for the moment due to the issues.

cdf3

I'll give it a shot as well. My screen fails to turn on quite a few times throughout the day while at work. Very frustrating. Have to press and hold the power button and volume up button to force a reboot.

bluegrass

I'll give it a shot as well. My screen fails to turn on quite a few times throughout the day while at work. Very frustrating. Have to press and hold the power button and volume up button to force a reboot.

I accept it as normal for my computer to need the volume power combination to get powered on about once a week or so.