What's new

SD card not recognized

KingHippo81

Hi all- recently got a sandisk microSD 200gb card. I have a SP 4/i5/256

I checked the card on a laptop and it recognizes. When I plug it into my SP it's not recognized

The only thing listed under disk drives in Device Manager is an NVMe SAMSUNG MZFLV256

Do I need to reinstall the driver ?

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

What you see there is your internal storage. Get into disk manager and see if it's there.

bluegrass

I question the validity of a 200gb SD card. If it actually says 200gb on the card I think it might be a fake. Usually memory doesn't increment like that. Are you sure it isn't a 256 gig memory card that of course displays a lot less than 256 gig when you look at the SD card properties in file explorer.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I question the validity of a 200gb SD card. If it actually says 200gb on the card I think it might be a fake. Usually memory doesn't increment like that. Are you sure it isn't a 256 gig memory card that of course displays a lot less than 256 gig when you look at the SD card properties in file explorer.
200gb micro SD is an odd size but probably one which has 56gb reserved for failure remapping.
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra...3133141&sr=8-1&keywords=sandisk+microsd+200gb

Maybe this is why so many cards are unreliable and dismount all the time.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I use two 200GB cards, one in a Surface Book and one in a Surface Pro 3.
On-board backup.

snip_20160118105015.png

loguicito

I am having a similar problem, I have a SP4 i5/256/8G and neither my 200GB SanDisk or 128GB Samsung Micro-SDXC cards work, they are not being recognized at all, not in Device Manager and not in Disk Management, also I do not have other devices listed in Device Manager, neither an alert triangle, is like the Card is not being seen by the SP4, any suggestion on what to do?

I just tried with a 32GB micro-SD card, first I formatted the card via a USB adapter on the SP4 as NTFS, then I installed the card on the micro-SD slot all the way in, you can feel it because there is a click, but nothing, no card on Device Manager neither Disk Management tool, after 3 cards successfully tested over the SP4 using a USB 3 adapter I do not think the issue is with the cards.

Last edited:

aj84

Bit late so you might have resolved it but I also had the same issue especially with the 200GB card and then all of a sudden it started to work.
In my case, I had to push the card further than the cut off point until I heard a slight click. Since then, it has read fine and remained reading fine.

Up till then, other smaller cards read but 128GB and 200GB refused to read. I know both worked fine in a Dell venue tablet + various usb adapters but Surface refused. Might be worth a try - I assume the large ones are slightly different in physical size and/or thickness