What's new

SDXC Card Error: Location Is Not Available; The Device is Not Ready... What?!?

olimjj

Last edited:

kevinlevrone

To clear one thing, there is no Sandisk Extreme with 128GB at this point, only the Ultra version.

And I would really not trust my important data to be stored on a microSD card. They are not very reliable long-term. A backup of the online storage would be ok, I guess.

Gary.M

I have a SanDisk Ultra 64gb micro sdxc in my SP3 and it has always worked flawlessly with it but previously it was in my SP1 and I regularly had the same problem mentioned in the op.

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

To clear one thing, there is no Sandisk Extreme with 128GB at this point, only the Ultra version.

And I would really not trust my important data to be stored on a microSD card. They are not very reliable long-term. A backup of the online storage would be ok, I guess.
Lol ok I'm sorry I stand corrected. Ill check on it in a few, but it's the sandisk microsd 128gb class 10 card. Forget I said extreme (don't even know what extemem means; thought it meant bc it's class 10 data xfer rate)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lol ok I'm sorry I stand corrected. Ill check on it in a few, but it's the sandisk microsd 128gb class 10 card. Forget I said extreme (don't even know what extemem means; thought it meant bc it's class 10 data xfer rate)
Extreme marketing :)

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

Actually the Extreme series (only up to 64GB) has about 40-45MB/s write speed (even random access) while the 128GB Ultra has only 14MB/s sequential write speed and only 2.5MB/s random access write speed.
(*Theoretical speeds. Real world = much slower)

Ok, so I removed the lil' jibber (after the error ocurred AGAIN) and took a snap of it. See below. Apparently it's labeled an "Ultra" rather than "Extreme". Oh how I feel slighted... <sigh>

2edqmjc.jpg

Very annoyed with this issue. Moving my Dropbox location back to my SSD.

I also noticed that looking through folders with a significant amount of photos, there is a bit of lag, waiting for the new photos to 'populate'. Very annoying. No joy in SD cards... (unless your storing static files)

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

New Development in SDCard Error Dilemma.....:

I opened up my device manager, and found the following:
r1akjl.jpg

...so I clicked again, curious...

15hlfs1.jpg

...and clicked again...

33p38yr.jpg

...any idea WTF this all means?!?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Device cannot start (Code 10)
  • Device Manager can't start the device.
  • One of the drivers that the device needs does not start.
  • Device Manager has insufficient information to recognize the error that is bubbled up by the device driver.
    Note In this situation, the Code 10 error can be a very generic message that indicates some kind of unspecified driver or device problem.

Try any of the following common resolutions to resolve the problem:
  • Update the drivers for this device
  • Run an automated troubleshooting service
  • Contact the hardware vendor's technical support
The Code 10 error is mainly related to hardware and device driver issues or to compatibility issues between hardware drivers and additional software that is installed in Windows. Therefore, we recommend that you troubleshoot these issues by focusing on device drivers, on device configuration issues, and on hardware compatibility issues.

Hardware compatibility issues
Another possibility is that the device was not designed to work with the particular version of Windows that you are using. You can use the Windows Hardware Compatibility List (HCL), to determine whether the device is listed as compatible with your current version of Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943104

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

Where did you buy the card? It looks to be defective....
A discount website....

Wait though, I;ve had this same SDcard installed my Asus T100 Transformer for the last 5-6 months, and it's never generated ONE error!

How does one explain that??

EDIT: I also noticed that, the more I 'use' the card, (ie: working with files from the drive) it doesnt fail. It's when there are long pauses from accessing the drive's contents will it bring up the error (like 10+ minutes of inactivity)

Does that mean anything?

Last edited:

malberttoo

I would say, just for grins, try a different card for a bit and see what happens. Even though you said the card did fine in a different computer, different brands and models do behave differently on different machines. It would be revealing I think that see if your SP3 is happy with a different card.