What's new

Secondary Monitor scaling

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, just wow.
On one hand, it seemed obvious to a lot of us posting here. On the other hand, I had wholly expected us to still be hitting this thread in 2025. I'm quietly stoked.

Slightly unrelated: I've got the preview in a VM on my linux box as I'm too chicken to put it on the SP3 yet. With everything going into the WinRT setting App, is there any way to pin or shortcut specific items? Having a single control panel is awesome, but losing the jump lists seems like a regression.
Some are available through the Notification Center (most common) which is by the clock in the Task Tray. But outside of that not currently.

WAR

I am trying to understand this. I am using an extended monitor (Samsung 1920x1080) which is perfect for viewing. My SP3, which is docked next to it, at 2160x1440, is a little too small to use comfortably. At this point, am I able to enlarge the viewing on the SP3? Sorry for my ignorance!

agt499

Ok thanks for explaining... I've using the recommended setting with no issue. I'll watch for the huge text issue when I go back to the office one day
..you might be getting better luck due to the Intel HD 5000 in your I7, or possibly monitors that report differently

agt499

I am trying to understand this. I am using an extended monitor (Samsung 1920x1080) which is perfect for viewing. My SP3, which is docked next to it, at 2160x1440, is a little too small to use comfortably. At this point, am I able to enlarge the viewing on the SP3? Sorry for my ignorance!
Hi WAR - you're clearly finding what I had.
Notwithstanding the promising news about the latest Window10 builds, I have settled on a solution that works quite well for me:
  • Using the info provided here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/danchar/arc...on-with-surface-pro-3-dpi-scaling-tweaks.aspx
    (and covered in this thread http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/sp3-multi-mon-dpi-scaling-tweak.10806/)
    ...Don't be daunted by the 'Choosing Monitors stuff': those threads took me a while to get my head around, but the shortcut to what I learned from them was:
  • Set a custom resolution for the Surtface Pro 3 Internal Screen
    I find that 1440x960 works well in conjunction with my monitors 24" 1920x1080
  • Select that resolution while docked, then undock and make set back to the default 2160x1140.
    Windows seems to remember the docked and undocked settings pretty well, but sometimes a logout/login cycle makes some programs behave better, so is worth it if I'm settling in to do a lot of work.
  • This lets my external monitors stay totally crisp and right-sized at their native resolution, and things on the SP3 screen are almost the same size as when undocked, but very slightly fuzzy.
    This is an OK compromise for me as when docked I'm doing most things on the big screens.
Good luck, and we'll cross our fingers for Windows 10 to fix it for us all.

B

B'midbar

It is in Build 9926 but not in the Win32 Display Control Panel but in the WinRT Display Control Panel:
View attachment 5388
View attachment 5389

Awesome. Anybody have connectivity problems when running more than 2 USB connections on the port replicator and more than one BT device? That's what really waived me off TP10 on my production machine. I have a 3TB Western Digital MyPassport on a USB 3 port and a 1TB Samsung EVO 840 mSATA in an enclosure on another. My phone and Plantronics Voyager are charging on two USB 2 ports and then I have an Arc Surface Edition and MS Mobile Bluetooth Keyboard 5000. On 9926 patched I was losing a drive, a mouse or the keyboard constantly.

Telstar1948

Guess I'm just a simpleton then. With all the latest updates, I set the slider one notch above dead center, and text is crisp, readable, and icons/screen elements are good across the SPro3 and two display port 27" WQHD monitors (daisychain). Guess it helps to have old eyes that are not sensitive to the screen elements...:rolleyes:

PS - I keep the SPro 3 as "Primary" in all my setups...

I have two external monitors with my SP3 to the right of both. I had my SP3 as my primary monitor, but I like to have open MUI apps on the SP3 while having desktop stuff open on the other two external monitors. Every time I opened a different desktop program with a splash screen showing, it would pop open on my SP3 screen throwing my MUI app off. I would drag the splash screen, or maybe it would be a dialog box or even some other window from a program, back to one of the external monitors trying to correct this so my MUI app open on my SP3 screen wouldn't get dumped. I was going crazy trying to keep the MUI app up on the SP3 screen until it finally dawned on me to designate the middle monitor (immediately to the left of my SP3) as my primary monitor. Things settled down nicely after that. I use the SP3 screen as mentioned above because it sets the same distance away as my external monitors, and a MUI app is easy to read on the SP3 at that distance while a desktop program on the SP3 at that distance is...somewhat of a challenge at times, if you know what I mean!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome. Anybody have connectivity problems when running more than 2 USB connections on the port replicator and more than one BT device? That's what really waived me off TP10 on my production machine. I have a 3TB Western Digital MyPassport on a USB 3 port and a 1TB Samsung EVO 840 mSATA in an enclosure on another. My phone and Plantronics Voyager are charging on two USB 2 ports and then I have an Arc Surface Edition and MS Mobile Bluetooth Keyboard 5000. On 9926 patched I was losing a drive, a mouse or the keyboard constantly.
That is way more than I've ever tested....I typically have one thing plugged into my SP3, power and sometimes the Mini-DP to HDMI adapter. If I plug in a USB device its a flash drive. All of my external drives are NAS devices now...

logger

Newby in an Old thread. Just wondering if I should wait for the Win10 update in the hope it will fix my issue.

Two external 1920 x 1080 monitors connected to docking station. Size slider is set to mid or recommended settings. Scaling or size of the various windows is fine across the screens and I am happy with this. However Chrome and several other legacy apps a blurry on the external monitors while IE and MUI stuff is crystal sharp. If I disable display scaling on high DPI for Chrome it becomes sharp but too large to use comfortably on the ext monitors.

For now I am keeping my preferred browser Chrome on the SP3 screen and using the two other monitors for other things. This is the only way I see to deblur Chrome in a workable fashion.

Is this issue likely to get fixed when I do the update to Win10?

Last edited: