What's new

Secure Erase SSD - Parted Magic?

CC268

I have used Parted Magic many times on several other computers to do a clean install of Windows. Has anyone used Parted Magic on a SP3?

I plan on upgrading to Windows 10 and then doing a complete clean install by using Parted Magic (just completed doing this on my Alienware).

After I am going to make a rescue media USB and a disk image using Macrium Reflect.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't do a secure erase unless I was sending it back or selling to someone, otherwise you just create needless wear on your SSD. Diskpart /clean is all you need to do.

OP
C

CC268

I wouldn't do a secure erase unless I was sending it back or selling to someone, otherwise you just create needless wear on your SSD. Diskpart /clean is all you need to do.

Thanks for the info! Can you tell me more about diskpart /clean - I am not familiar with that.

I just want my SP3 to be as clean as possible before Windows 10.

benjitek

The best way to secure your data when using an SSD drive is to use one that supports Trim and encrypt it. The drive in your SP3 supports Trim, and both W8 and W10 default to using Trim. Truly sanitizing a SSD drive is next to impossible, and testing has shown the programs claiming to do it, including Parted Magic, aren't all that great at it and give your SSD a wear & tear workout during the process.

To double check that your SP3 is using Trim, open an administrator command prompt and type:

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

It will return either '0' or '1', '0' means Trim is active. If it returns a '1', type this command to activate it:

fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

You can also Google 'SSD sanitize trim' for more info, here's a comprehensive article to get you started: https://raywoodcockslatest.wordpress.com/2014/04/21/ssd-secure-erase/

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
By the way, you should do an UPGRADE first to get the FREE copy then do the clean install after the upgrade is activated which will automatically reuse the registration, otherwise you wont get the Free upgrade.

OP
C

CC268

By the way, you should do an UPGRADE first to get the FREE copy then do the clean install after the upgrade is activated which will automatically reuse the registration, otherwise you wont get the Free upgrade.

Yes I understand that (I had to do the same on my Alienware). Can you provide a link or some more info on how to properly wipe my SSD using the diskpart?

OP
C

CC268

The best way to secure your data when using an SSD drive is to use one that supports Trim and encrypt it. The drive in your SP3 supports Trim, and both W8 and W10 default to using Trim. Truly sanitizing a SSD drive is next to impossible, and testing has shown the programs claiming to do it, including Parted Magic, aren't all that great at it and give your SSD a wear & tear workout during the process.

To double check that your SP3 is using Trim, open an administrator command prompt and type:

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

It will return either '0' or '1', '0' means Trim is active. If it returns a '1', type this command to activate it:

fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

You can also Google 'SSD sanitize trim' for more info, here's a comprehensive article to get you started: https://raywoodcockslatest.wordpress.com/2014/04/21/ssd-secure-erase/

It appears my SP3 is using TRIM. However, I am still confused - what is the best way to wipe my SSD and do a true clean install of Windows 10?

OP
C

CC268

Have you tried researching with Google?

I'm not trying to be rude - but really? Yes, how do you think I came across Parted Magic? There are A LOT of ways out there - but determining what the proper/best way to do it is not always easy. Finding someone who is knowledgeable on the forums has always been my best bet.

benjitek

Not sure why you're using Macrium Reflect, or why you'd create your install USB after you've wiped your drive instead of before. I created a bootable USB drive for W10 installation using the Microsoft provided ISO file (after doing an in place update). During the initial part of the install I deleted the existing partitions, selected 'create new' and it made the 3 it needed, then I installed. Worked perfectly.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You could search "Windows 10 Command Prompt at boot" but I cant link to that..

Here's a link I can use but SP3 is already gpt so you don't need to convert it.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Dn336946.aspx

Excerpt modified:
Turn off the PC, and put in the Windows installation DVD or USB key.

Boot to the Win10 USB

From inside Windows Setup (at first screen), press Shift+F10 to open a command prompt window.

Open the diskpart tool:

diskpart

Identify the drive to reformat:

list disk

Select the drive and clean it:

select disk <disk number> <<<it should be 0
clean
exit

Close the command prompt window.

Continue the Windows Setup installation.

When choosing an installation type, select Custom. The drive will appear as a single area of unallocated space.

Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows begins the installation.

OR YOU CAN DO IT IN THE SETUP GUI BY DELETING ALL THE PARTITIONS
  1. Turn off the PC, and put in the Windows installation DVD or USB key.
  2. Boot the PC to the DVD or USB key in UEFI mode.

3. When choosing an installation type, select Custom.

4. On the Where do you want to install Windows? screen, select each of the partitions on the drive, and select Delete. The drive will show a single area of unallocated space.

5. Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, and reformats the drive using the GPT drive format, and begins the installation.

OP
C

CC268

Thanks GreyFox! Exactly what I was looking for. If you don't mind me asking - how is that different than what Parted Magic does?