What's new

Secure Erase SSD - Parted Magic?

OP
C

CC268

Not sure why you're using Macrium Reflect, or why you'd create your install USB after you've wiped your drive instead of before. I created a bootable USB drive for W10 installation using the Microsoft provided ISO file (after doing an in place update). During the initial part of the install I deleted the existing partitions, selected 'create new' and it made the 3 it needed, then I installed. Worked perfectly.

Okay let me try to explain this better.

I already have upgraded to Windows 10 on my SP3 - just haven't done a "clean" install yet. I have a USB drive with W10 Pro on it right now. I was simply looking for the best way to wipe the SSD.

I am not sure what the difference between Parted Magic and doing it through the Windows GUI is.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks GreyFox! Exactly what I was looking for. If you don't mind me asking - how is that different than what Parted Magic does?
For some things, not different at all... but "Clean" doesn't do an erase, it just deletes all the partitions including any hidden partitions. so your not putting wear on the SSD.

SSDs are accessed by logical address, not physical address. The mapping between LBAs and PBAs is handled by the SSD's controller and firmware. This is done to improve the performance and endurance of the SSD.

Secure Erase of an SSD ensures that every PHYSICAL bl0ck of the SSD is erased and the data is not recoverable. The best way to do this is in the SSDs firmware which can operate on physical flash addresses as opposed to the logical block addresses that the file system (and any program like Parted Magic) uses to address the disk. This SSD firmware is invoked with an ATA command pair (0xF3, 0xF4).

As someone said, there is no reason to secure erase a drive just to ensure a clean OS install. What you want for that is a clean LBA space, which is guaranteed by just reformatting the drive. Windows 7 and later automatically TRIMs an SSD as part of the format.

Charlie

So just in case anyone cares - I found some great information on wiping an SSD.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2660336/wiping-ssd.html

That thread in short supports the fact that wiping the partitions during Windows installation will effectively wipe your SSD - essentially does exactly the same thing that a Secure Erase does.

Just to be clear, that thread is incorrect. Windows does not issue an ATA Prepare Erase/Execute Erase in response to deleting partitions in Disk Management. Deleting partitions and reformatting is sufficient for doing a clean install of the operating system, but it is nothing like what a secure erase does, even if you do a full (vs. quick) format. Formatting operates in LBA space, not physical space and does nothing to the overprovisioned space of the SSD.

OP
C

CC268

Thanks Charlie for the information! I will just delete the partitions then for this clean install.

Now if I ever did/want a Secure Erase what program would you recommend? I have a Crucial M4 SSD and Crucial doesn't seem to have their own program (like Samsung or a few others have).

Thanks Charlie for the information! I will just delete the partitions then for this clean install.

Now if I ever did/want a Secure Erase what program would you recommend? I have a Crucial M4 SSD and Crucial doesn't seem to have their own program (like Samsung or a few others have).

After doing a little research, it appears that Parted Magic actually does use the ATA commands to issue the secure erase. In fact, it looks like it can do an enhanced secure erase, although I'm not sure how it specifies the erase algorithm. There is not a standard way to do that among SSD controllers. Some have you set the algorithm with a vendor specific command before you issue the erase while others specify it in the feature register of the command itself.

HDPARM also provides a way to issue the secure erase if you are comfortable with using a command line.

Charlie