What's new

Solved Sensation from SP3 when charging

79jonesy

Hi,
I'm still loving the SP3 since swapping from a MBA last week (apart from the rear camera but you can't have everything!)
However, when the SP3 is charging and I'm holding the machine (I need to do this when teaching etc if the battery is running low) it feels like the rear of the machine is static or has friction? I wouldn't say it tingles but does feel like the texture is different? Is this normal on the Surface devices?

malberttoo

Hi,
I'm still loving the SP3 since swapping from a MBA last week (apart from the rear camera but you can't have everything!)
However, when the SP3 is charging and I'm holding the machine (I need to do this when teaching etc if the battery is running low) it feels like the rear of the machine is static or has friction? I wouldn't say it tingles but does feel like the texture is different? Is this normal on the Surface devices?

No, this is not normal. Your SP3 has a defect and should be replaced immediately.

Basically, when you are charging it, something is "leaking" electrically and dissipating out to the frame.

It's a bad deal and you should deal with it ASAP.

InspectHerGadget

I would return it. It is defective and it is a common defect.

2 out of 20 Surface devices sold out of a local store have been returned with the same issue.

OP

79jonesy

Thanks for your help. I'm in the UK so have to do the exchange via the online store. I've put in for an advanced exchange so fingers crossed that sorts it. (I think people thought I was mad constantly rubbing my SP3;))

leeshor

This is an off the wall shot in the dark since you are in the UK but on another tablet forum the chargers are 2 prong (US) chargers and when the same thing happens when the chargers are inserted into the outlet, turning the charger 180 degres solves the problem. It has been traced to reversed polarity or a bad ground.