What's new

September Patch Tuesday - No WiFi Fix for SP3

mcsenerd

Can someone please explain to me what hyper v exactly is in laymen terms? will turning it off solve my missing wifi problems? if so, how do I do it?

Hyper-V is Microsoft's Hypervisor technology. In it's most basic form, it allows your PC to execute multiple (or a single) virtual PCs/Servers on top of your physical hardware. Hyper-V, ESXi, Xen, RHEV, and others, are all variations on accomplishing this. As for this particular thread, I believe that for developers using Visual Studio, the Hyper-V is required to run the phone emulator for Windows Phone development. For the average, everyday dude running a SP3 or any other PC for that matter, it's likely a role that: 1.) they never knew existed 2.) have absolutely no need for anyway.

I'm sort of the opinion that this "might" not be just a software thing. It could very well be highly dependent on the quality of the chipset to be "woken" from some of these deep sleep states. So battery state, heat, EMF, and who the flip knows what, might all be in play in causing these sporadic issues. All I know, is that I don't really give a rat's arse who has a perfect device around. All I know is that EVERY one of the Surface Pros in my possession have at one time or another suffered from some sort of flaky WiFi issue and I'll give you one guess as to what they all have in common in that arena... Let's just say it starts with a Mar and ends in a vell.

kundas1

You still have to take into account that others are not having the trouble, so it doesn't matter what you give a rats arse too as you eloquently put it... yea maybe the fabrication of these Marvell boards are sub poor, but others are still working fine!

mcsenerd

It's a pointless debate, no adequate method of determining propensity of issues can truly be found on any forum. I've not once said personally that "everyone" is having these issues, but I take complete issue with the inference of that meaning that "no one" does. Although I've had my occassional WiFi/Bluetooth disappearing act...I've never once had any "poor speed" issues as others have had (including some of the very commenters in this thread). Does that mean that they must have "jacked" their SP3's up in order to experience such issues? Because clearly the fact that I NEVER had such issues from my launch day device must imply that they're all perfect right?

My main point here is that there is a history here... history of radio issues with this entire line, and that's a fact that I will not even entertain a debate about with anyone. A simple search of the plethora of firmware/driver fixes rams that point home all by itself. It's the old, "best predictor of future behavior is past behavior"-type deal for me.

kundas1

And no one said NO ONE is having trouble and everything is hunky dory! so let's leave it at that...

DeltaXray

Sounds like you need a replacement device. I've had no WiFi issues whatsoever. None. Nil. Zilch. Either on g, n or ac networks, and 2.4ghz or 5ghz. It has been pretty solid for me, so it is not a common problem on all surface devices.

That's not to say I haven't had other issues, just none with WiFi.

unruledboy

Sounds like you need a replacement device. I've had no WiFi issues whatsoever. None. Nil. Zilch. Either on g, n or ac networks, and 2.4ghz or 5ghz. It has been pretty solid for me, so it is not a common problem on all surface devices.

That's not to say I haven't had other issues, just none with WiFi.

after coming back from hibernation, will have normal wifi connection?

DeltaXray

after coming back from hibernation, will have normal wifi connection?

Yep I have perfect WiFi connection on my i5/256gb model. Never once not been able to connect after hibernation.

Now if only it didn't have the yellow band on screen, vibrating/tingling chassis when charging, and random CPU spikes caused by IE it would be perfect :p. I am actually kind of put off getting a replacement if the WiFi issues are so common. These issues I can live with, the WiFi ones I could not.

unruledboy

Yep I have perfect WiFi connection on my i5/256gb model. Never once not been able to connect after hibernation.

Now if only it didn't have the yellow band on screen, vibrating/tingling chassis when charging, and random CPU spikes caused by IE it would be perfect :p. I am actually kind of put off getting a replacement if the WiFi issues are so common. These issues I can live with, the WiFi ones I could not.

oh boy, I read some posts, the wifi issue is not rare, I need to dig further

ruinah

I need to chime in here. Had the SP3 for 3 weeks now. I connect to 2 different wireless routers and connected to a third (cisco Meraki) yesterday for work. I have this wifi issue that seems to be going around. It's the exact same symptom and the exact same fix each time. Device Mangler, scan and boom it's fixed. This is not something I want to deal with daily. It happens to me 3-4 times every day. I haven't hacked anything (as was suggested by another poster). There is either something clearly faulty in a batch of hardware or the issue doesn't present itself to everyone. Those of us affected, we DO need a fix for it. I am glad there are folks who have never experienced the issue but don't discount those that have it.

I will contact MS Support today and let them know I have this issue and log it as a case. The more people do that, the more attention it will get from them. They don't sit here and read this forum, they have their own they monitor. There are plenty of posts there regarding this bug.

unruledboy

I need to chime in here. Had the SP3 for 3 weeks now. I connect to 2 different wireless routers and connected to a third (cisco Meraki) yesterday for work. I have this wifi issue that seems to be going around. It's the exact same symptom and the exact same fix each time. Device Mangler, scan and boom it's fixed. This is not something I want to deal with daily. It happens to me 3-4 times every day. I haven't hacked anything (as was suggested by another poster). There is either something clearly faulty in a batch of hardware or the issue doesn't present itself to everyone. Those of us affected, we DO need a fix for it. I am glad there are folks who have never experienced the issue but don't discount those that have it.

I will contact MS Support today and let them know I have this issue and log it as a case. The more people do that, the more attention it will get from them. They don't sit here and read this forum, they have their own they monitor. There are plenty of posts there regarding this bug.
totally agree, mate

foghat

Could you try this? Open Regedit

Change this key

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled (1->0) (Restart)

After that open the Control panel, power options, balanced plan, edit, change these values, apply, close, undo registry change and restart.

View attachment 3602

I will give that a try. Thanks.

Is this a known 'fix' for the issue? i.e. how does it prevent the wifi adapter from doing a vanishing act?

And, why undo the registry change after, seems like keeping the extra power options could be beneficial.

foghat

Everyone you know, what... that involves 1 person 2? LOL I know I'm not suffering from the "no network problem" and MANY other people too... you don't believe me also? It's only a small handful of you that are suffering from this and it sucks, but don't put us in the same boat as you! I'm sure MS will fix this and you all can get back to enjoying your devices as you should be. Perhaps try un-installing the drivers and re-install them and it might fix your problem... it did for another person on this forum...

We must be extremely unlucky in our house then. We have 2 SP3s in our house and on both of them the wifi adapter has disappeared coming out of sleep. No it doesn't very often, but it happens and it shouldn't.

btw, not sure if you are talking about my thread about my slow speed after the update - the uninstalling and reinstalling indeed did fix the speed problem introduced with the latest firmware install - too early to say if has fixed the 'disappearing act' issue.