What's new

September patches giveth and taketh

Kif

The latest round of patches fixed my persistent taskbar issue. Unfortunately, now the caps lock key on my Bluetooth keyboard (Logitech K810) has gone totally bonkers. If I hit the caps lock key my keyboard looses connection to my SP3 with caps lock on and when it finally reconnects I can't turn a caps lock off. I've been inadvertently YELLING at a lot of people today on IM.

Last edited:

malberttoo

The latest round of patches fixed my persistent taskbar issue. Unfortunately, now the caps lock key on my Bluetooth keyboard (Logitech K810) has gone totally bonkers. If I hit the caps lock key my keyboard looses connection to my SP3 with Caps Lock on. I've been inadvertently YELLING at a lot of people today on IM.

I have seen several other posts on different forums as well about the last round of updates making the Bluetooth connections get hosed.

kundas1

Good gawd MS has to start releasing proper updates! I never had any trouble so far but I find its like playing Russian roulette with their updates.... its quite disconcerting....

HarnessTech

For me, it's all giveth -- that is, my SP3 was quite problematic, with heat issues, locking up all the time, generally unstable, and some software wouldn't even open. I did 2 refreshes and 4 factory resets and nothing fixed it. Since the 9/9 updates, this thing is cool as a cucumber and hasn't locked up once. All software runs as it should and it is problem-free as of now.

When the 9/9 updates came out, I did a full factory reset (again) prior to installing the updates. A couple hours ago, I started the process of synchronizing my 40,000+ files on Google Drive while simultaneously working in Photoshop, WinSCP, various browser tabs and streaming Spotify -- it's been downloading the whole time and it's not even the slightest bit warm. It's in the dock, plugged in, running two external monitors along with the SP3's own screen plus an external USB drive (where Drive is being synchronized).

I'm feeling pretty blessed at this point.

kristalsoldier

Good gawd MS has to start releasing proper updates! I never had any trouble so far but I find its like playing Russian roulette with their updates.... its quite disconcerting....

This is so true. While I have not had a problem either with the hardware (right from the original Surface RT through the Surface 2 and now to the Surface Pro 3) or the software updates, however, the potential for something getting screwed up is - as you put it so appropriately - rather disconcerting. I need to have confidence in my devices and in any updates that are issued to it. Perhaps this is just an idealistic view of things and in the real world systems, devices and software don't actually behave in this way.

Last edited:

malberttoo

For me, it's all giveth -- that is, my SP3 was quite problematic, with heat issues, locking up all the time, generally unstable, and some software wouldn't even open. I did 2 refreshes and 4 factory resets and nothing fixed it. Since the 9/9 updates, this thing is cool as a cucumber and hasn't locked up once. All software runs as it should and it is problem-free as of now.

When the 9/9 updates came out, I did a full factory reset (again) prior to installing the updates. A couple hours ago, I started the process of synchronizing my 40,000+ files on Google Drive while simultaneously working in Photoshop, WinSCP, various browser tabs and streaming Spotify -- it's been downloading the whole time and it's not even the slightest bit warm. It's in the dock, plugged in, running two external monitors along with the SP3's own screen plus an external USB drive (where Drive is being synchronized).

I'm feeling pretty blessed at this point.

Wow that's awesome. Glad for you!

the9thdude

With my own Surface Pro 3, I've noticed a bit of degraded performance when waking from sleep. Haven't really noticed too much otherwise, good or bad.

Garry9600

So strange. I've been having problems using my Bluetooth speaker from day one - it would cause videos to stop or go in slow motion anytime I paused and then tried to restart a video 0r open another video. This would happen no matter which program I was using (Media Player, YouTube, Netflix, iTunes, etc., etc.). Nothing I tried seemed to work other than to exit and then re-start the program.
But since September's update, everything is working absolutely perfectly! I've tried all kinds of different programs and scenarios and it just works like a charm - fast and smooth. It also seems to be running cooler, although that might just be my imagination.

For me, I've been lucky to see only improvements with each update. I can't think of a single complaint with my sp3 right now (other than battery consumption, but I do a lot of video watching and editing and photo editing too.). I'm sorry to hear that everyone isn't as thrilled with MS's updates.