What's new

Serious battery capacity decrease

ttxzee

Hi, I just ran powercfg /batteryreport in CMD and the generated report states after 30 charge cycles, my full charge capacity has dropped to 27,646mWh. the designed capacity is 31,502mWh, so my battery lost 12% of capacity in just 2 month!!

does your surface also suffer from serious battery capacity decrease? please run "powercfg /batteryreport" in non-elevated CMD and look at the report in C:\Users\*username* please post your result including full charge capacity and charge cycles.

Thanks! :)

Sin

FULL CHARGE CAPACITY29,556 mWh (so 6% assuming mine was at Design capacity when I bought it)
CYCLE COUNT75

Could you give a little more specific instruction on how to do this? I would like to check this out.

if you have a keyboard, hit Win+X, then click/tap on Command Prompt (Admin) and in the cmd window that opens on desktop screen type or paste in the command given above. The report will be saved in Windows/system32/battery-report.html. browse to the file and open it.
cheers

btw. thanks for the command ttxzee. Is there an app that somebody wrote that makes use of this to display the info? should be straight forward I would think (written by somebody who has no idea how to program).

DESIGN CAPACITY 31,502 mWh

FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 28,712 mWh
CYCLE COUNT 19

I believe what we are seeing here is probably normal. the capacity decrease will initially be steep and level at longer usage times (probably exponential decay). So, while the initial drop may look substantial, if you check again after another 2 months it may only be a total drop of 14% (wild guess). I also believe that the actual initial capacity is not the same for all batteries. the value of 31,502mWh is "Design" and what we see has been normalized to this value, irrespective of the actual battery capacity. A comparison between different Surface RTs would therefore show slightly different decays over time.

Good to see we can follow this via the cmd. thanks again

Last edited:

MSurfaceWA

After 53 cycles I am down to 26,869 - about a 14% decrease. On the plus side, excellent information from that simple command.

willmech

Only 12 cycles in, but my battery capacity is still 31,502. Thank you ttxzee for posting that command. I'll be keeping an eye on my battery now.

bosamar

DESIGN CAPACITY31,502 mWh
FULL CHARGE CAPACITY31,102 mWh
CYCLE COUNT32

Did I post the correct info?

compnovo

DESIGN CAPACITY31,502 mWh
FULL CHARGE CAPACITY31,102 mWh
CYCLE COUNT32

Did I post the correct info?

Mine showed 31, 502 for both design capacity AND full charge capacity, with a 32 cycle count, so now I'm wondering if I'm looking in the right place...
I would post a screen shot but for the life of me I can't get it to upload.

compnovo

"Try from the Desktop browser."
I've tried it from both the desktop UI on the Surface and my desktop computer with no success. I click the "Insert image" icon above the Quick Reply window, browse to the image and select it, then click Upload File(s), but nothing happens. I'm overlooking something embarrassingly simple.

bosamar

Try advanced post from Desktop, works for me.

Screenshot (10).png

Last edited: