What's new

Set up Surface 3 with windows 10 pro edition

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've had laptops where the manufacturer loaded various things to the generic Windows install. Things such as an OEM startup screen. Often there were trial versions of programs such as Symantec AV and other non-essential crapware. But I don't see anything in my Surface that includes any of those extras. I can install a pristine copy of Windows Pro, which is a free download from Microsoft these days. Once installed I can add the drivers and other files from the Surface downloads page and I should be good to go. I haven't tried it yet but when I do I'll post a report here.
You will need to purchase a Windows 10 Pro License Key to do what you are wanting. You also can purchase an upgrade key directly from within the Windows Anytime Upgrade.

Rock Flint

You will need to purchase a Windows 10 Pro License Key to do what you are wanting. You also can purchase an upgrade key directly from within the Windows Anytime Upgrade.
I have a BizSpark account on MSDN and that includes 5 keys for each version. So I can install Pro and activate it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have a BizSpark account on MSDN and that includes 5 keys for each version. So I can install Pro and activate it.
That is what those keys are for, so that you can run your business. We just need to make sure anyone reading this thread now and in the future will understand that a Key is required.

Rock Flint

There is no "free" upgrade path to Windows Pro. You can download it and install it but it probably won't activate.
One more thought: If anyone felt the need to do a clean install, they could use the Microsoft Recovery Files which they can download from Microsoft, or they could download a pristine copy of Windows 10 Home and install it. If the Surface had been once activated, then any new installations of Windows Home will activate automatically.

leeshor

That's correct. A fresh install of the very same version of Windows 10 on any system that previously had that version installed will install and activate, even with no serial number.