setting up a replacement SP3

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by 79jonesy, Sep 9, 2014.

1. 79jonesy

79jonesy New Member

Hi,
    I have a replacement SP3 due to be delivered on Thurs from Microsoft. (I'm in the UK and hoping it's a new SP3 and not a refurb ;).) I chose the advanced exchange option so I wouldn't be without a machine. How do I move my current set up to the new SP3? I have all of my documents saved in the onedrive and have signed in with a Microsoft account and not a local machine. I'm completely new to Windows so wasn't sure what to do. Is there a migrate to new computer option like in osx? If so should I use it or set it up from scratch?
    Thanks

2. BillJ

BillJ Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    The process is really quite simple. If you have your PC settings set to sync with OneDrive, when you start your new machine it should be automatically populated with:
    a) all of your MUI (Modern UI Windows store) applications
    b) start screen preferences
    c) IE preferences including passwords and sign-ons. Just make sure your old machine is backed up. You will lose all of your x86 applications, and will need to re-install those.
    You will also need to redevelop your local OneDrive folder, by allowing data to download to your PC (if you wish to keep your data offline)

I have an SD card with iTunes files that I switch from PC to PC; occasionally that music file becomes unreadable to other computers, and I need to reinstall the music files from an external hard drive that I use for my local backups.

3. 79jonesy

79jonesy New Member

Brilliant. Thanks for the reply. That seems pretty straight forward. Hadn't thought about using an micro SD card for iTunes. Think I'll do that too.

4. kevroc

kevroc New Member

I've done this a couple of times now trying out tablets between a Thinkpad 10 and Surface Pro 3, etc.

When setting up the new tablet I was asked if I wanted to use the configuration from one I previously had, kind of like when you get a new iPhone or iPad.

Another important item I found was to just let the tablet sit for an hour or two after logging in so it could do it's syncing uninterrupted. I did that last time and got a really good mirror of my old system onto my new one, I just let it charge and sync for awhile.

Also, as mentioned above, apps need to be reinstalled, but you can copy some data over using a microsd card or thumb drive. For desktop apps, a lot of data is stored in the %appdata% folder so you can sometimes successfully copy that over for the respective desktop apps you need to reinstall.

5. malberttoo

malberttoo Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Hi, welcome to the forum, and thanks for the good input!

6. HarnessTech

HarnessTech Active Member

What I have done prior to a factory reset is move the various document, pictures, videos, etc. folders to the OneDrive folder. It's a bit tedious but not really all that bad.

For each folder I want to store on OneDrive, I right-click on it and select Properties then go to the Location tab. The rest is pretty self-explanatory.

7. 79jonesy

79jonesy New Member

Unfortunately the replacement unit Microsoft sent me has a white dot on the screen like someone has pressed their thumb into it really hard. The replacement is going back so will try again!!