What's new

share a windows 7 printer to surface pro??

bertopl

I have a Canon printer attached to the usb port on a computer running 32-bit Windows 7 in my office. I have the printer shared and can even access and print to it wirelessly from my MacBook Air after I installed the driver for it on the MacBook. is it possible to access the shared printer on my Surface Pro? I've tried a couple of things. Canon has both a 32-bit and 64-bit driver on their website so I obviously tried the 64-bit driver first. it installed fine but when I tried to access the shared printer, it gives an error saying it can't connect to it, I forgot what the exact message was. I thought maybe I needed to use the 32-bit driver for it to be compatible so I removed the 64-bit driver and tried installing the 32-bit one but the installation said that it was the wrong driver and couldn't be installed on a 64-bit machine. I'm new to Windows 8 since I got my Surface and new to a 64-bit altogether. is what I'm doing even doable between 32-bit Windows 7 and 64-bit Windows 8?? any help would be awesome!!

-- berto

J515OP

Super Moderator
Hi berto check bosamar's link for compatibility. I have unfortunately found Canon doesn't offer the best driver support so your printer may not have the correct driver for Windows 8. If not you might be able to use the driver of a similar printer instead.

OP
bertopl

bertopl

I appreciate the help. I'm working through some of the steps now. no luck yet. I'm tinkering around with the homegroup feature in win 7 which I haven't messed with at all and I still can't connect to it. I'll keep trying though.

machistmo

Without more detailed information I can only say "Good Luck". I have a Kodak 2150ESP2150+1850 Wireless Printer that works just fine with the windows 7 64 bit driver or without it. My surface detected it and used it to print without me ever asking it to do anything. I would be interested to know how you make out with it. I would tend to agree with F5150P that Canon printers tend to be lacking in the driver support area. I was surprised that Kodak was as on the ball as they have been to be honest.

OP
bertopl

bertopl

well, I tried just about everything and still no luck. the printer was a freebie though so I'm thinking may as well invest in one that'll work with both machines. thanks for all the tips.