What's new

Should I buy an SP1?

ProOrNo

Hi, long story short, SP2 stolen and can't justify cost of an SP3 at this time. Good used SP2s are about as readily available as snow boots for caterpillars or are priced more than an SP3.

Amazon are showing an SP1 for $480, supposedly refurbed by msoft. I still have the Power Type Cover from the SP2, will that fit the sSP1?

Any major drawbacks to the SP1 that I should consider?

Thanks

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The SP1 is a IvyBridge Core CPU with a HD4000 GMA so the performance will be less than the SP2 and battery life is typically 3.5-4 Hours with light use...so with the Power Cover will get you 5-6 hours...

InspectHerGadget

I would concentrate on getting the SP2 second hand.

I would have thought that there were plenty of SP2 machines on the market for sale. I sold mine on Friday last and got a reasonable price, about what I had paid second hand for it just before the release of the SP3 here in Australia.

The SP1 is both slower and with a much less battery life. It might be too much of a compromise I think for most people.

I really enjoyed my SP2, it is a great machine. I needed the extra speed of the i7 which is why I bought the SP3 (twice).

mwsvette

I have one of each and to be honest with you for most of what I do, unless I look at the back of the surface I could not tell you which one I was using.

The power cover will give about 50% more operational time on either unit.

OP
P

ProOrNo

Thanks, a diverse set of replies. :) I think I will wait until I find a good deal on an SP2. The price IHG got reflects the scarcity, as I guess people are hanging onto what they have. I will never again deal with thieving auction sites. Ripped off three times out of five and the CS was useless. Ahh, well, I will keep checking the For Sale here.

Vance L

If you are in the US, cowboom is an excellent source for used stuff that are cheaper than Craigslist sometimes IMO. They often have $100 off coupon or deal of the day stuff. I've had good luck there so far but YMMV of course.

InspectHerGadget

It is funny how people perceive the same situation differently. I felt that the SP2 prices represent a huge loss and an expensive cost of ownership. AUD1800 roughly for what the original owner paid in November 2013 with extra screen adapters and power supply. I paid $950 in August and got $900 for it last Friday.

I have heard people recover about half on the SP2. If I compare this with Apple products I have sold second hand it compares very unfavourably.

I attributed this to the big changes with the SP3 but evidently others think the SP2 prices are way high. It is maybe a matter of expectations.

InspectHerGadget

Ebay has new SP2's for $500 +, 128gb models, they're out there........
I'd be surprised if you got them that cheap. Often too good to be true prices are just that and often what you see are current bid prices.

Put the O.P. out of his misery though and post him some links if you can find some good ones.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Perhaps you could
I'd be surprised if you got them that cheap. Often too good to be true prices are just that and often what you see are current bid prices.

Put the O.P. out of his misery though and post him some links if you can find some good ones.
How much do the fake wood tablets cost? :eek:

OP
P

ProOrNo

It is funny how people perceive the same situation differently

I don't know about AUD, but used-prices for SP2 from viable vendors, Amazon etc, are hovering around the same price as SP3. In fact there are a few SP3 128G from Amazon Warehouse for close to 900-bucks. Used-as-new with almost the full msoft warranty. Couple that with the Amazon 30-day free return and they look a good deal and make the 900-buck SP2 look a little on the greedy side.

I like the 10" form factor and still have the $200 cover, so the SP2 is still in my sights. :)

Interesting, you may want to check out the post I am about to write in the SP2 forum. :)

Arizona Willie

I have the SPI and it does everything I need it to do.

AND, I have had ZERO quality problems.

In my, not so humble, opinion --- Microsoft saw the SPI taking off and rushed the SP2 and SP3 out the door. They had plenty of time to get the SPI right but rushed the followups out the door.

That's why we see people on here asking about gaps between screen and case and a multitude of other niggling little problems.

MS got money hungry and rushed out new devices to take advantage of the enthusiasm.

Not that any of the other manufacturers are any better. Probably far worse.

But I've been happy with my SPI, but I don't use it in a dock as a desktop like many are trying to do with the SP2/SP3's.

Considering how many hundreds of dollars you would save with an SPI now, I would say it would be well worth considering if you don't have to have the most powerful tablet available in the Western Hemisphere.

I doubt I would trade my SPI for a SP 3 straight up due to all the quality issues I have seen here. I'm staying with my SPI for the foreseeable future :)