What's new

Should I upgrade to Anniversary?

My SP4 has the Anniversary update queued for install tomorrow morning at 7:15 AM unless I do it now or block it. I've seen reports of bugs, some apparently fatal like lost data or the machine being unusable unless you rollback to a previous version. What's the consensus here about Anniversary - should I wait for a better version or when fixes are available, or should I bite the bullet now and take my chances?

Here's an article that has me very concerned. It details some of the problems and it also tells how to block the upgrade:

The case against Windows 10 Anniversary Update grows

Thanks!

Jesse

My SP4 has the Anniversary update queued for install tomorrow morning at 7:15 AM unless I do it now or block it. I've seen reports of bugs, some apparently fatal like lost data or the machine being unusable unless you rollback to a previous version. What's the consensus here about Anniversary - should I wait for a better version or when fixes are available, or should I bite the bullet now and take my chances?

Here's an article that has me very concerned. It details some of the problems and it also tells how to block the upgrade:

The case against Windows 10 Anniversary Update grows

Thanks!

Jesse

I've had no problems and my SP4 i5/8/512 has been solid, but historically reading this site for going on two years I would say that at large when someone has a problem with an upgrade on their system it's something unique to their application software on the machine. If you're just running things like Office, a browser, etc. should be fine. If you have older or more esoteric software I would make sure to have a full backup and recovery option prior to doing the upgrade. Several here use Macrium Reflect for that, including myself.

Good luck.

kristalsoldier

I am running the AU also on my SP4 i5/8GB/256GB unit and it seems to be working fine. Just been two days thought that I go the SP4 so still running down battery and a few more settings. But otherwise it is working just fine - as of now!!!

bluegrass

I've had no problems and my SP4 i5/8/512 has been solid, but historically reading this site for going on two years I would say that at large when someone has a problem with an upgrade on their system it's something unique to their application software on the machine. If you're just running things like Office, a browser, etc. should be fine. If you have older or more esoteric software I would make sure to have a full backup and recovery option prior to doing the upgrade. Several here use Macrium Reflect for that, including myself.

Good luck.

"No_Ax". I think you hit the nail on the head. Millions of users have installed the Anniversary update without issues. There will always be a small number of people that due to something unique on their computer, will have issues. Installing a new app, upgrading an app or an OS, installing new hardware, etc. is what makes each of our computers unique, and might have a problem. It's a gamble for all of us when we do some of the things I mentioned above. If you mindset is not up for a little gamble then don't do it.

Gtfeckner

I have upgraded my SP4, my laptop and my desktop, and found no serious problems at all. Several close friends have also upgraded their systems with no problems either.

The only bug I notice is that in my SP4, the processor does not throttle back to 900 MHz when in idle, but only to 1.5 Ghz. It's not catastrophic, only causes the battery to drain a little bit (and I say "little bit") faster . On the other hand, some people say performance is also better. It will be fixed, no doubt.

No other problems whatsoever. The device is as stable as usual, no configuration problems, no data loss... nothing relevant in any of my three computers.

Bear in mind forums like this is the place where people come looking for help when they have a problem (I myself found this site when looking for help with my faulty first SP4). For every person reporting a problem, one hundred thousand are just fine saying nothing because they have nothing to complain about. Don´t overestimate how prevalent problems are just by looking at the threads in forums or tech sites. You will also find a lot of sick people at hospitals, but that doesn´t mean everyone in the world is sick and humans are doomed.

That said... there is no guarantee that you won´t be one of those unlucky enough to hit trouble with the upgrade, so be sure to have a full backup just in case.

Good luck.

PS) Please excuse my poor English.