What's new

Skype stuttering on surface pro 4

MetalToby

Hi,
I have an i5 8GB ram and 256GB Surface Pro 4.
Everything is up to date, windows, drivers etc and I dont have any other issue than this one.....

I have a problem with Skype over wifi. On a call there will be a tiny pause every 5-10s. Not long, but just enough to be annoying. I believe its wifi related because it will be totally smooth when using a USB Ethernet adapter plugged into the same Surface Pro.
This happens even when I am sat next to the router (Netgear R7000 + VirginMedia cable). I have tried 2.4ghz and 5ghz but the same issue every time. I have set the wifi device to 2.4ghz, 5ghz and auto, but nothing helps.
Skype via an android phone and Macbook are totally smooth even over wifi, so I'm sure its just this combination of the surface pro and wifi.

Any suggestions on what to try or investigate? Seems like lots of people have issues with the wifi adapter, so I am going to try a USB wifi dongle next.

Thanks
Alan

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
I have an i5 8GB ram and 256GB Surface Pro 4.
Everything is up to date, windows, drivers etc and I dont have any other issue than this one.....

I have a problem with Skype over wifi. On a call there will be a tiny pause every 5-10s. Not long, but just enough to be annoying. I believe its wifi related because it will be totally smooth when using a USB Ethernet adapter plugged into the same Surface Pro.
This happens even when I am sat next to the router (Netgear R7000 + VirginMedia cable). I have tried 2.4ghz and 5ghz but the same issue every time. I have set the wifi device to 2.4ghz, 5ghz and auto, but nothing helps.
Skype via an android phone and Macbook are totally smooth even over wifi, so I'm sure its just this combination of the surface pro and wifi.

Any suggestions on what to try or investigate? Seems like lots of people have issues with the wifi adapter, so I am going to try a USB wifi dongle next.

Thanks
Alan
Which Skype Client? Win32 or Skype Preview UWA?

OP
M

MetalToby

Which Skype Client? Win32 or Skype Preview UWA?

Skype version is 7.25.0.106 which is the Win32 version. I just noticed the Skype Preview is installed. I just tested with the preview version and same thing. Smooth over ethernet, stuttery over wifi.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Have you updated to the latest Firmware on the R7000? Also, do you have any QoS setup?

OP
M

MetalToby

Yes router firmware is up to date and Upstream QoS is turned on. This has Skype in the high priority rules.
There is a downstream QoS which is turned off. I can try with that turned on.
I am doing these tests while no one else is using the internet/wifi at the moment.

OP
M

MetalToby

I bit the bullet and reset my surface pro back to factory as there wasnt much installed. That seems to have sorted the problem.
Its only been a day, so I'll keep an eye on things.