Skype Volume Too Low

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by InspectHerGadget, Nov 8, 2014.

1. InspectHerGadget

InspectHerGadget Active Member

Thank you for your efforts.

I'm going into a shop tomorrow just to compare sound volume side by side with another Surface.

2. InspectHerGadget

I compared the volume side by side although not on skype with a Surface Pro 3 in the shop and the volume levels were the same.

I got the guy to listen to the Skype Test call and he agreed it was too soft, even at 100% volume.

I suggested maybe testing Skype sometime if he could.

It looks to me like it is the way the speaker/sound system is designed. It seems inadequate.

It might be back to Facetime when I need to communicate or my desktop (which works fine on Skype).

3. TravFlex

TravFlex New Member

Did this get resolved?

I had the same issue when mine was new out box. I also don't fully recall how I fixed it. I think Manage Audio Devices > Double click speaker > Levels

Somehow I feel this was not tied/linked to the master volume originally but it seems to be now. Maybe install Skype Desktop App and see if it does the same? I think this is a software issue and nothing wrong with the hardware. Are all the updates installed?

4. InspectHerGadget

Yes, tried the desktop Skype with same results.

Updates are installed.

If there is a software fix, it would be great as, it isn't much good for Skype at the moment.

It seems some people found some software fix for it but when directed to Sound, Enhancements etc., nothing was found.

5. Dunwa

Dunwa New Member

I've got the same problem with my SP3. Skype just about works in a quiet room at 100%. Strangely the default windows sounds are fine in the low 30%.

6. InspectHerGadget

I'm pleased that the hair growing on my palms isn't a sign of insanity then...:)

7. jonco

jonco New Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    In case anyone else visits this site, the problem is easy to fix on my wife's Acer notebook. In control panel, I opened RealTech Audio Manager, Microphone and adjusted Microphone Boost which was set to zero. We increased it to 24 which then worked fine, but have now increased it to 36. However on my Surface Book, I don't have an audio manager as such, so in our case it was the other computer that had the problem, not the Surface.