What's new

Sleep Battery Woes

ventmore

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm gonna keep at it for a few days, then maybe get in touch with support on Monday.

I'll let you know if I come across any solutions.

I suspect a lot of people are experiencing this without realising. I only found the sleepstudy tool as my surface failed to hibernate after 4 hours last week. I hadn't used it for a few days, and when I tried to turn it on it was completely dead.

Before that, I just accepted that it's supposed to lose 2% per hour of connected standby. Now I know differently, I won't rest until it's sorted :)

From the battery report, I see that everything seems to have been a lot better before the upgrade to Windows 10.

I really don't think a fresh install will help, as it's going into a low power state at times, and I think that also rules out a hardware issue.

Hopefully Microsoft will get this sorted.

ventmore

Not sure what's going on, but my Surface now seems to be behaving itself until it hibernates.

It's using a fairly consistent 50-70mW per hour without disabling the wireless through device manager, but with the box to enable wifi during sleep unticked.

I've put it to sleep many times, and woke it up after an hour or so, and everything seems fine.

However, once it's allowed to hibernate, all subsequent sleeps use 400-600mW per hour. Also, if I check airport utility when sleeping after a hibernation cycle, it shows that the Surface is actually connected. During the sleeps before hibernation, this was not the case.

Using an app called Debookee from my Mac, I found that when it is connected, it's actually making periodic connections to a few Microsoft domains.

Bottom line seems to be that, after a hibernation, the Surface isn't sleeping properly, and is staying connected to wifi, regardless of any settings.

I may try increasing the hibernation time, so it basically stays in connected standby all day, then just shut it down every night.

ventmore

Here's my sleep study for the last few days. Hibernate definitely seems to play a part.

I haven't changed the hibernate time yet, but for some reason, my surface has been refusing to hibernate anyway. As you can see, apart from the top 2 readings, I've had no problems at all the last few days, until it finally decided to hibernate. Then, it started draining again during sleep.

I did restart the surface after reading number 2, as once it starts draining a lot during sleep, a restart seems to be the only way to fix it. Also, reading 1 showed no value for drain which is a little weird. Apart from that, the machine hasn't been shutdown or restarted.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Dan203

It looks like they fixed this with the update a couple weeks ago. I noticed after it installed it had a new driver for the Marvel wifi adapter. Since then I no longer need to disable wifi to save battery. Last night I left wifi enabled overnight and only lost 1% after 8 hours. It's about time!

ventmore

That's great news!

I got a firmware update last week, and the notes stated:

"Surface UEFI update (v1.51116.18.0) adds ability within Windows Power & sleep settings to turn off Wi-Fi during sleep."

I was hoping it was fixed, but haven't had a chance to test it yet.

It looks like they fixed this with the update a couple weeks ago. I noticed after it installed it had a new driver for the Marvel wifi adapter. Since then I no longer need to disable wifi to save battery. Last night I left wifi enabled overnight and only lost 1% after 8 hours. It's about time!