M3 -- 68%
i5 -- 66%

When I came home at 4 pm, the remaining battery charges were:

M3 -- 57%
i5 -- 50%

Extrapolating from this data, the battery drain in a sleep state is:

M3 -- 35%/day (1.5%/hour)
i5 -- 51%/day (2.1%/hour)

Isn't this drain depleting not only the short term battery charge, but the long term battery life as well?

Do you shut down your SP4 to save battery charge/life?

mva5580

How do you set it up to hibernate (or shut down) automatically instead of sleep (the default)?

Well shut down you just shut it down instead of doing nothing, and hibernate is in the power options. You can tell it to hibernate after X minutes.

leeshor

There is a setting to turn WiFi off during sleep that will help. The option to set the time to hibernate from the default 120 minutes to something less, (I now have mine set to 30 minutes) is in the advanced power option. There is a large list of items you have control over. Doing those 2 things have my power loss at less that 1/2% per hour with the type cover closed.

OP
D

DavidZ

There is a setting to turn WiFi off during sleep that will help.

Where's that one? I couldn't find it.

The option to set the time to hibernate from the default 120 minutes to something less, (I now have mine set to 30 minutes) is in the advanced power option.

OK, I found that one.

There is a large list of items you have control over.

So, that enables automatic hibernation when you (a) hit the power button, and (b) close the lid (in this case the type cover), but what about (c) when the SP4 is idle for X minutes? Does it just go to sleep indefinitely after idle?

Doing those 2 things have my power loss at less that 1/2% per hour with the type cover closed.

Are you saying that even in hibernation the drain is 0.5%/hour?

leeshor

Yes hibernation on my system drains < 0.5% per hours and frequently a lot less. It depends on how long I leave it sleeping because it uses some battery for that first 30 minutes.

In settings - Systems - Power and Sleep - Wi-Fi. There is also a setting to turn Cortana off when you are away and a few other nice settings there.

OP
D

DavidZ

Yes hibernation on my system drains < 0.5% per hours and frequently a lot less. It depends on how long I leave it sleeping because it uses some battery for that first 30 minutes.

In settings - Systems - Power and Sleep - Wi-Fi. There is also a setting to turn Cortana off when you are away and a few other nice settings there.

Thanks. OK, I found the Wi-Fi setting.

What about idle? What happens when it goes to sleep after idle? Does it automatically hibernate after sleeping based on the X minutes setting?

OP
D

DavidZ

Now that I've gotten my head around all of these settings, here's is my current configuration:

.........................................................On Battery.. Plugged In
Power & Sleep
...Screen............................................5 minutes... 10 minutes
...Sleep............................................. 5 minutes... 10 minutes

Additional Power Settings
...When I press the power button...... Hibernate..... Sleep
...When I press the sleep button........ Hibernate..... Sleep
...When I press the close the lid......... Hibernate..... Sleep

Advanced Power Settings
...Sleep = > Hibernate after:............... 5 minutes..... Never

This configuration is designed to preserve battery power, particularly in light of the SP4's battery drain issue while sleeping.

I don't know why they spread these settings all over about 5 screens, since they all work in tandem together. I find that summarizing them in one place helps me design my optimal configuration.

There may be other settings that come into play here, but these seem to me to be the primary ones for preserving battery power.