What's new

Sleeping for 10 Seconds Then Waking Up... Arrrghhh!

ChrisPanzer

Welp, looks like my sleeping woes I love to hate are back, this time with a vengeance. I tried to post a video demonstrating what happens, however the mods swiftly removed it, citing violation of board rules. (..to post a video?!)

Anyway, my SP3 now will resume from sleeping after about 10 seconds. Nothing plugged in, no BT devices connected, etc. Power profile is for everytthing to 'sleep' when pressed/lid closed/etc.

I know the old trick in device manager was to set various devices 'power management' to not wake device, but I understand in 8.1 that tab has been since removed.(?)

Any ideas? Doug, roachie, greyfox?

EDIT: Here is a link to the video.

View My Video

Last edited:

leeshor

Just an fyi. It was not a violation to post a video but it was a violation to post a link to a file download. Videos are posted all over this forum that don't break the rules. You may want to look into getting a YouTube account and converting that file from MOV to MP4 and post the link that way. The video would not be a file download.

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

Just an fyi. It was not a violation to post a video but it was a violation to post a link to a file download. Videos are posted all over this forum that don't break the rules. You may want to look into getting a YouTube account and converting that file from MOV to MP4 and post the link that way. The video would not be a file download.

I also included a link to my tinypic.com page that I uploaded the file to. All u had to do was erase the dropbox link within the original post. Its Ok, I know now. Thanks.

mennogreg

It may be worth trying turning off Bluetooth and WiFi, not as solutions but to try to isolate what's causing it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
When I've seen this before it typically from a Win32 program refusing to enter S3 or Antivirus Activity or a Misbehaving Driver (Logitech SmartSuite, Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse Suite and the like).

Look in the Application and System Event Logs to see what process sent the Wake Command.

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

When I've seen this before it typically from a Win32 program refusing to enter S3 or Antivirus Activity or a Misbehaving Driver (Logitech SmartSuite, Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse Suite and the like).

Look in the Application and System Event Logs to see what process sent the Wake Command.
I think it may be this issue... The only thing I've installed over the last few weeks is a few Stardock applications. I also installed CoreTemp, which is a CPU/Load/Memory monitor. Maybe thats it?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I think it may be this issue... The only thing I've installed over the last few weeks is a few Stardock applications. I also installed CoreTemp, which is a CPU/Load/Memory monitor. Maybe thats it?
Typically when I troubleshoot, I remove one program or driver at a time and test to see if the problem is resolved starting with the last application/driver installed and then work backwards. Sometimes it isn't just one application/driver but the interaction between multiple changes and worse, it occasionally the order of the installation.

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

I tried /sleepstudy, it made some HTML file in windows\system32, and it says page not available when opened with IE. Tried /lastwake, got the 0 string again.

Anything else I can do to diagnose this besides hunting for the culprit? Any more command lines I can try? I really want to figure out whats causing this.

Too bad there isnt some global-override command that can be used to disable all win32/BT/Wifi/Drivers from waking the machine. (one would think such would be possible)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried /sleepstudy, it made some HTML file in windows\system32, and it says page not available when opened with IE. Tried /lastwake, got the 0 string again.

Anything else I can do to diagnose this besides hunting for the culprit? Any more command lines I can try? I really want to figure out whats causing this.

Too bad there isnt some global-override command that can be used to disable all win32/BT/Wifi/Drivers from waking the machine. (one would think such would be possible)
IDK. Maybe you can suggest Microsoft add a /NoWakeyWakey command to powercfg. :)

Last edited: