What's new

Slightly different spin on the reason for throttling

Justing6

Wow. Higher heat more throttling, less heat less throttling. What a revelation. Who would have figured.

Thank you for your insightful input... but yes, it is that simple. The fact that the Surface Pro 3 has half the fans of the previous two Surface Pros means that it can't cool its metal casing as well. Even if it can keep its processor cooled with that one fan, the heat gets absorbed by the metal casing and can't get dissipated fast enough to keep running the processor at a high level like the Surface Pro 1 and 2 could.

A couple of us over at the Microsoft forums have been discussing this here for awhile, if anyone wants to see some more info from our tests or have some input over there feel free.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...rottling/cdb99447-2f23-4ef1-9336-0c4e6b7de488

dstrauss

...I bought the SP3 for my needs and that is the key, buy it for what it can do well and not for what you wish it could do well, that way you can temper your expectations and enjoy whatever device your purchase.

Excellent advice - do people really buy tack hammers when they are going to break boulders?

Deryl McCarty

Weird .. just watched the above video, agreed that I had not bought my i7 for height frame rate usage. I liked the comprehensive test product from Intel though, so I downloaded it and installed it, and with no other changes but the programs request for restart, the sp3 does not respond, does not turn on and does not respond to normal "on" or volume up or down with on. removed from power and kb and tried again, no joy. power light is on, but nada. will try the 15 minutes in the freezer trick, then up to Bellevue for a, store look-see. talking to u from sp2...I sure like my sp3 tho.

equake

The dogfooding video from a SP3 team member using Creo Parametric is plenty convincing. It is however docked but I would say 3D CAD is fairly intensive use of this laptop.

megatronium

The dogfooding video from a SP3 team member using Creo Parametric is plenty convincing. It is however docked but I would say 3D CAD is fairly intensive use of this laptop.

Simple shapes. No textures or animation. Didn't seem too intense to me at first glance.

bluegrass

Bitching must take a lot of computing power as well ... there seems to be a large number of computers dedicated to this workload. :)

Good one. You & I seem to be on the same table a lot of the time. Nuf said.

I have 45 years under my belt starting with 360s back in the late 60s but I find a lot of people are so much smarter than I am when it comes to dealing with different aspects of the Surface. Love learning from them when they put some sense on the table.