What's new

Slightly loose screen at the bottom - is that common?

Mastiff

I don't know if I have a problem with my Surface or not, but it's slightly loose at the bottom. The glass is around 1-1.5 mm further out than the edge and I can push it in and feel that it hits the bottom of the frame but then it comes out again. Is this something that should worry me? Maybe a production error? Or is it common on these things?

OP
Mastiff

Mastiff

Ok, thanks. I'll just leave it for now since nothing will happen in repair shops before Christmas. Oh, and here we never contact Microsoft, we contact the shop where we bought the thing. We have five years for manufacturing defect, the consumer rights in Norway is pretty different from what you're probably used to.

OP
Mastiff

Mastiff

Yep, that's where it is. The problem for me is that I can't really be without the thing because it's now my single work computer. But I'm planning to check out the Surface Book this spring (it's not on sale in Norway yet), so if it doesn't get more loose I may wait until it's replaced by that.

raqball

Yeah mine had the same issue. If viewed at an angle you could see the bulge. I really only noticed it while wiping the screen down. Every time I put even slight pressure in that area I could hear a popping / crunching sound.. I had mine replaced on the spot at a Microsoft store and they allowed me to inspect the replacement before I accepted it..

OP
Mastiff

Mastiff

Nice. Mine is so heavily customized (two partitions, encryption and all that) that I will have to mess around with a lot of backups and stuff before I can replace it.

raqball

My main worry was that dust or other substances could get under the screen where the separation is..

If I were you, I'd replace it before it becomes a problem..

raqball

Yep, the told me to come in and replace it. Thanks for the advice! Didn't hink about that problem.

Awesome! See if they will let you inspect the replacement before you leave with it.. That way you don't get home and find a similar issue or discover something else.

Microsoft let me inspect my replacement before I left the store with it..