What's new

Solved Snag it

Kuba

I am a new Surface Pro 3 user (i5, 256 GB). When I tried using 'Snag It' to capture images (I loaded the old software that was purchased for my laptop), the picture grew larger in scale not allowing for an accurate capture. Is there any other software I could use to capture images?

Captpt

I use the Snipping Tool that comes with Windows 8(Have on both my XPSw/Win8 and my Surface Prov 3 i5).
Just make sure you do the "Save As" a jpeg, first time you use it the setting default is Png file but after your first save as jpeg it holds that setting..

OP
K

Kuba

Thank you! Didn't think of it - works perfectly for what I am trying to do. Appreciate that.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
As well as the snipping tool, also remember that a double tap of the pens purple button will take a screenshot, which you can then immediately crop, and then save. Granted the snipping tool is better (imo), but take into account that it can at present only capture desktop applications. It doesn't work for any MUI app.

nipponham

...Just make sure you do the "Save As" a jpeg, first time you use it the setting default is Png file but after your first save as jpeg it holds that setting..
Just wondering why you would suggest changing the save format as jpg instead of the default png. Png is non-lossy compression and is better suited for images of text and web graphics you would typically see in screencaps. I would understand trying to limit file size, but that would be a non-factor in screen shots.

silkrooster

Just wondering why you would suggest changing the save format as jpg instead of the default png. Png is non-lossy compression and is better suited for images of text and web graphics you would typically see in screencaps. I would understand trying to limit file size, but that would be a non-factor in screen shots.
I agree, png is a much better format for Master file/archiving than jpg which is more suited for sharing over the net.

Haldi

as much as i love the snipping tool, or the double click on the pen. For most of the time i press FN+AltGR+Space to get a clean screenshot of the currently selected window and simply paste that in paint or directly on imgur.com