What's new

So, gmail doesn't work with the Surface Pro email app?

Yeah, it works fine in the browser. It's the native apps that don't work.

Isn't that what Outlook is for? ;)

Sorry, I didn't even think about the Surface apps. Never even opened them. I installed Office on day one, and do just use the browser for Gmail. I let Exchange manage my calendar.

I've hated MS Mail since the Vista days, so didn't even explore what Windows 8.

plasm0

Yeah, it works fine in the browser. It's the native apps that don't work.

yes, gmail itself works fine. it's the native preinstalled win8 apps that don't play well with gmail.
The topic of this thread really should be clarified.

polbit

MS played politics? Google announced this in the middle of December, when half of Redmond is gone for Christmas. And if you have development experience, you surely know that it takes a lot more than a snap of your fingers to develop a fix like this. Then there's still the central issue, which is that Google screwed millions of their own customers for no valid technical or financial reason.

You are absolutely right - Google is evil, and Microsoft rocks. Gosh, if we only had more upstanding companies like Microsoft and less evil ones like Google.

Talldog

You are absolutely right - Google is evil, and Microsoft rocks. Gosh, if we only had more upstanding companies like Microsoft and less evil ones like Google.
Where did I ever say that? Let me answer that for you. I didn't. The plain truth is that in this case Microsoft didn't screw me (and millions of other users). Google did. Sorry if that upsets your world view.

I like Google. Microsoft is like a bumbling giant with little in the way of brains. They make me cringe a great deal, but I have no dislike for them.

Apple is evil, but that is another topic.

Talldog

I like Google.
I liked Google myself until 2 weeks ago. I don't hate them now (let's face it, they have the best search engine by far), but they sure aren't the corporate angel they make themselves out to be. It's almost like finding out that Apple was using Chinese semi-slave labor to build their products...oh, wait.