What's new

so i return my surface:(

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
True...well...till computers can reproduce themselves!
That wont change anything ...Computers have been designing computers since the early 1960s that I am aware of.
It's the requirements and technology limits that force tradeoffs and compromises. The requirement is: must operate on 4W of power - well that sure limits what we can do.

OR with the current state of technology the power supply capable of driving the necessary load will weigh 1500 pounds and require a cabinet 6 feet high and 8 feet long (from an actual system of days gone by).

Must fit into a certain small space, must operate in outer space for 50 years (think about that one for a while),

must operate autonomously in extreme harsh environments without causing harm to sentient life forms. Etc etc.

While the requirement must be capable of exascale computing on the order of 100 times the current 10 petaflop systems leads to a whole different solution.

Nucleon

Every computer ever built or owned has been a mass of tradeoffs and compromises. The same is true of every computer that ever will be built.
In the case of a custom built computer with a price tag over 10k in usd that would everything a computer should do brilliantly, would the compromise be your bank balance?

TPadden

In the case of a custom built computer with a price tag over 10k in usd that would everything a computer should do brilliantly, would the compromise be your bank balance?
No, the compromise would be that you didn't wait another year for the computer that will love you back!