What's new

So long SP3 friends...

Status
Not open for further replies.

foghat

You can't compare a MacBook Pro with a Surface.

Serious? That is exactly what MS did at the SP3 launch. In fact they were specifically taking aim at the mbp.

The sp3 is being marketed as the tablet that can replace your laptop, comparisons to the mbp are valid.

Edit: Ignore this post. my bad on mistaking mac book pro for mac book air.

Last edited:

Lemuel

I too returned my SP3 at literally the last hour (one hour before the MS store closed on my last return date). It was a tough decision. I was coming from the original Surface RT and I often get returner's remorse every time my RT lags (which if you own the RT happens pretty much all the time). SP3 is the device that makes Windows 8 shine and it is a glimpse into what computing will be in the post-mobile OS tablet era (too soon?).

I really liked the SP3, but I didn't like the heat (why did they place the hottest components where you hold the thing?!?), the fan noise to a certain degree, battery life, and the software isn't quiet where it needs to be in tablet mode (e.g. there are a very limited number of steam games with touch control, stream streaming at home doesn't support touch, Office isn't fully touch). It is important to note that for my usage I valued the tablet portion more than the laptop portion (Office and Steam are my only legacy programs). When I weighed the cost of the device and the likelihood these issues will be fixed or further minimized in the next version, I pulled the trigger and decided to wait. After all, I still have my Surface RT and desktop to help tide me over and it does all the things the SP3 did except run my Steam games.

In the meantime I am going to be testing my patience every time I use my RT*.

*or maybe I will just repurchase the Sp3 :).

codo

heat and battery life were issues of mine, I did the factory reset and now both have improved immensely, especially battery life.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Serious? That is exactly what MS did at the SP3 launch. In fact they were specifically taking aim at the mbp.

The sp3 is being marketed as the tablet that can replace your laptop, comparisons to the mbp are valid.
MacBook Air actually - they were clear that this is an Ultrabook Class Machine in a thin Tablet form factor. MBP is a Mobile Workstation Class Machine like the ThinkPad W530 or Dell Precision M3800....

foghat

MacBook Air actually - they were clear that this is an Ultrabook Class Machine in a thin Tablet form factor. MBP is a Mobile Workstation Class Machine like the ThinkPad W530 or Dell Precision M3800....

Well. Don't I have egg on my face. Have never used a mac and don't much follow Apple's computer product lines. I'm generally pretty good at double checking stuff like that before I post. Got lazy this time and got burned.

tuchas I take it back.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Well. Don't I have egg on my face. Have never used a mac and don't much follow Apple's computer product lines. I'm generally pretty good at double checking stuff like that before I post. Got lazy this time and got burned.

tuchas I take it back.
Don't be hard on yourself....this is why I'm tired of this conversation....Too many people have Mobile Workstation Performance Expectation from an Ultrabook ULV class machine, if that was their expectation they chose poorly.

tuchas

tuchas I take it back.

Understandable mistake. The MB Air is a better comparison and even as a Mac guy I would take the SP3 over a MBA any day. Even I have to admit Panos' comparisons at the presentation were good, and I've already seen 2 cases where people who were deciding between the two went with the Surface.

Teddy Playgroup

I'm love my SP3...I kinda consider myself as a power user (I do enterprise virtual environments and disaster recovery for 100's of fortune 500 companies) and where I find where the SP3 lacks (which isn't much) is made up with RDP to a VM with the power I need

Geneo

MBPro/Retina= $2400
iPad2= $800
Total= $3200

SP3, which replaced both= $1550, w/tax. Nuff said.

My MB got hot.
It wouldn't run all the programs I wanted.
Do I miss 'em? NO.

Kif

Why do people have the need to post on a Surface enthusiast website that they're returning their SP3? Everyone should do what's best for themselves and if the SP3 doesn't suite their needs they should return it. However it's not really something a SP3 owner really wants to hear.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Why you ask?

axe_to_grind_ha.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.