What's new

So long SP3 friends...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkydcmpr

The comments in this thread are good for a chuckle. I thought apple fanboys were bad. You guys and gals take the crown.
I hope microsoft would take it seriously not just a chuckle. I've been a microsoft.net developer for a decade, I've been using everything from microsoft. I think microsoft made some bad engineering decision during the sp3 development, not all but some of them they could avoid, and some of them were so bad and disabled the device for certain customers.

Kif

I hope microsoft would take it seriously not just a chuckle. I've been a microsoft.net developer for a decade, I've been using everything from microsoft. I think microsoft made some bad engineering decision during the sp3 development, not all but some of them they could avoid, and some of them were so bad and disabled the device for certain customers.

Fair enough. So vote with your feet and cancel your preorder. You can also email Microsoft with your feedback. I personally think the SP3 is a damn fine machine and I'm enjoying it.

SeeVuPlay

Well it certainly can't replace a macbook for everyone, particularly where you:

1. prefer OS X
2. prefer battery life (macbook air has 11 hours+)
3. do iOS development (huge deal breaker for me)
4. want something relatively bug free

Love my surface but in the 4 categories above, it fails miserably.

So....the SP3nfails because you prefer OSX ....HAHAHAHAHAH

crimson

I love my SP3 because I only use it for basic computing. I have my desktop rig for real computing.

But I agree with anybody returning it because they need a more high-end laptop for power use on the go. While the SP3 is somewhat of an ultrabook, it's not meant for high-end power use. It's meant to be a laoptop/tablet for normal use. If you're a power user, that combination isn't advisable. It's advisable to get a power notebook.

What I don't agree with is people getting Mac Pros. I see people getting Mac Pros, then installing Windows 7 on it. It's soooo pointless because Mac Pros are just completely overpriced, and relatively not very good.

Anybody looking to do portable power computing, this is the way to go:
http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-17-7737/pd?oc=fncwj1904b&model_id=inspiron-17-7737

Sure, you can uninstall Windows 8.1, and put in Windows 7. The touchscreen will still work. But when it comes to OS for this generation, I highly recommend you refrain from veering away from Windows 8.1. Sure Windows 7 is an excellent OS. Probably the best in terms of mixing great stability and great capability.

However, W8.1 still runs all the greatest Windows software without a hitch. And on top of that, it allows you to install WinRT software. You can't install WinRT software on any other OS. You can only install them on Windows 8 or Windows RT. And the thing about WinRT software is that it has the fastest growing selection of software in history. Far more faster than normal Windows software, Android, Apple, etc.

The problem is that people like to complain because they install underdeveloped WinRT apps from random developers. And when the app bugs out, they blame it on the OS. The OS is fine. WinRT currently doesn't have as large a selection of tried and true mini-apps as other OS. However, it does have have a very nice share of excellent stable products. And that list is growing at a rapid rate.

My advice for power users. Go with that Dell touchscreen over Apple garbage all day long. And if you don't mind a 14" screen, then get BY FAR the best power laptop on the market.
Razer Blade 14":
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade

Sure it's touted for gaming, but it is absolutely perfect for high-end productivity software. The video montage in their commercial even showcases it using Premier Pro as well as 3DS Max. It makes the Mac Pro look like a jalopy.

As for OS, definitely stick with Windows 8.1. It will take you everywhere. Stay with the tried and true WinRT apps if you're not comfortable with the more underdeveloped ones. Or go ahead and mess with the less developed apps, but don't expect them to be completely. Many of them are wide open for user feedback and bug reports for improvement.

crimson

Well it certainly can't replace a macbook for everyone, particularly where you:

1. prefer OS X
2. prefer battery life (macbook air has 11 hours+)
3. do iOS development (huge deal breaker for me)
4. want something relatively bug free

Love my surface but in the 4 categories above, it fails miserably.
WTF? This is like saying I plan to develop Playstation games. And the Xbox totally fails for this task. Really Sherlock?

If you plan to develop for iOS. Get Apple products.

For everybody else, if you plan to do power computing, then get one of the laptops I posted above.

If you want a decent laptop, go with a good Dell touchscreen with Windows 8.1.

If your looking to do the best tablet/laptop hybrid on the market, go with SP3.

If you're looking for an excellent budget tablet, I highly highly recommend the Dell Venue Pro 8 64GB. $280 with Windows 8.1 instead of Windows RT:
http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-8-pro/pd?oc=fncwv8p03&model_id=dell-venue-8-pro

mcsenerd

Yeah... Let me give you the number of a good chiropractor too...

The rMBP is a fine machine, although there are recently several Windows laptops that now compete very well with it. If anyone buys a rMBP thinking its the maximum portable performance out there...well, they're the ones on crack. That does not at take away the fact that it offers a compelling mix of aesthetics, weight to power, stability, and excellent post sale support that's tough to beat. Do not in anyway discount the retained value as well. I'm not dogging on any machine, and anyone's free to feel that Apple products are overpriced...I just don't have to agree with them.

I think where apple hits a home run is their entire ecosystem is self contained. That's why they're one of the top leaders in tech.

I mean, there were an insane amount of phones on the market for years who were running dual core processors, etc that surpassed what an iphone had under its hood and you know what, the iphone ran better, much more smoother.

I think Microsoft had some stellar customer service for the time I had my SP3 but it takes much more than customer service to keep me around.

Would I ever revisit the surface pro 3? Probably not, I mean, MacBook pros are to have a lifespan of a few years. I should be all set.

Status
Not open for further replies.