What's new

So what is the real impetus to upgrade to 4?

Johnny365

Is the SP4 Type Cover with the Fingerprint reader or is that the Surface Book that has that? If it is, would the SP3 do anything with it?

zhenya

It's on the new type cover which is compatible with the SP3 probably to make the SP3 compatible with Windows Hello even without the new cameras.

johnj2803

Just to clarify there are 2 versions of the new keyboard. One with finger print reader and the other without. Both are compatible with the sp3 according to Ms store website.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is the SP4 Type Cover with the Fingerprint reader or is that the Surface Book that has that? If it is, would the SP3 do anything with it?
There are two new Type Covers for the SP4 the regular one for $129 and the one with the Fingerprint reader for $30 more. Both will work with the SP3 and id think should work with any Pro or the Surface 3 as they are just keyboards with drivers like any other and the fingerprint driver. I doubt the fingerprint reader works on RT unless they made a RT driver for it.

CrippsCorner

It's on the new type cover which is compatible with the SP3 probably to make the SP3 compatible with Windows Hello even without the new cameras.

Yup this was confirmed from Tom Warren this morning. Strangely it's going to be a US only release... oh well.

zhenya

This looks interesting..my question is what kind of performance do you get in tablet mode? I notate PDFs in the field and hate it when my screen lags. If I detach the screen will the performance be hindered? I have a sp3 and depending on the size of the PDF, sometimes it's intolerable. I know this is a Surface forum, but am also considering an iPad Pro...
Main uses- PDF notating, note taking, pics, all while walking job sites. Then usual email and web. I use Bluebeam on both iPad and SP3....SP3 version is much more versatile.

Yeah, that's an odd decision. Also, on the website it seems to be only available in black. Fortunately that's the one I want!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, that's an odd decision. Also, on the website it seems to be only available in black. Fortunately that's the one I want!
I saw a statement to that effect, the Fingerprint Cover comes only in black. Probably a Spy vs Spy thing. :D or the anticipated demand doesn't warrant more choice.

kristalsoldier

It's enough to be compelling, but not so much to get me to upgrade my SP3, although I will probably go for both the new cover and the pen because they both are updated with exactly the kind of changes I've been pining for. Another year or two and I can assess whether the larger Surface Book is a better fit for me...

I echo these sentiments! I like what they seem to have done to the Type Cover - definitely a buy; I am intrigued by the changes that MS has made to the Pen - that's a buy too; the tablet itself is also attractive, but my current SP3 (4GB/ 128gb) is working just fine (only awaiting Threshold 2 or whatever is this next big update!).

I loved the look of the Surface Book and intrigued by how I potentially how I would use it. But I think I would like to wait to see what improvements, if any, the next iteration will bring.

One potential problem though when I am ready to buy, which will be next Oct., is having to decide between what will then be the SP5 and the SurfaceBook 2!!!

In the meantime, I am waiting for the 950XL (4G/ Dual SIM)!