What's new

So, who types with the Surface on the lap?

not a problem for me. typing on it with it on my lap often. at work, at home, in bed. works well.
and then again at work today sitting in a meeting somebody comes and says, wow that's cool, is that the new iPad?
Apparently she didn't know what a new iPad would looks like either, but anything new must apparently be some iDevice - the Hoover, Q-tip, Kleenex or pampers of electronics - sad.

Last edited:
I don't find it to be useable sitting on my lap by itself. I have a box that's 1.5" thick, and 12" x 15", it works perfectly as a lap desk for the surface.

souldier

I was a bit concerned that typing on lap would be an issue. In truth, it is harder to be more stable typing in the lap, but it is doable if you have the right angle. I realize the issue is not a big deal because whenever I am using the surface in my lap, I am not doing serious work that requires a keyboard. In those cases, I am perfectly fine using the on screen keyboard, just as any ipad user would be. When I am doing serious work, I am always at a desk

Arizona Willie

Since the Surface Pro is a full fledged computer, it should be able to run Dragon Naturally Speaking so one wouldn't necessarily need to use a keyboard sitting on their lap.

Also, we need to keep in mind when reading all the negative reviews that that fruit company GIVES writers hardware ( and in many cases, cash payments I believe ) to write negative articles about anything that doesn't have an I- in front of it's name.

chatterbot

They should change the hinge so that the kickstand folds down from the middle of the device....and the hinge is on the edge....if they can do this. This would make the device a lot easier to use on the lap.

MSFT's biggest oversight is the case though. Where are the case accessories? This device should be used with a case, covering everything except the screen....which can be covered with the keyboard. the keyboard should have had a magnet on it also.

zhenya

Since the Surface Pro is a full fledged computer, it should be able to run Dragon Naturally Speaking so one wouldn't necessarily need to use a keyboard sitting on their lap.

Also, we need to keep in mind when reading all the negative reviews that that fruit company GIVES writers hardware ( and in many cases, cash payments I believe ) to write negative articles about anything that doesn't have an I- in front of it's name.

Dictation software is never going to catch on as more than a niche product for the vast majority of cases. It's one thing to dictate a short command to your phone; another to think that people are going to do their work via voice.

If you have some concrete evidence of your claims about Apple, post them up. Otherwise it's just sour grapes. The vast majority of reviews on the Surface Pro have been accurate and fair; it's a device that tries to solve some issues but creates others in doing so.

It speaks volumes that in an office full of technically inclined people, nobody has especially lit up at the idea of the Surface Pros I have on my desk. There are real obstacles to wide adoption of a device like this.

kristalsoldier

It's strange (for me, that is), but I don't find myself even attempting to type save for when I am at a desk. In fact, it is even more strange that I don't find myself attempting to use the Surface as a tablet! I seem to using it more like a laptop, that is to say, I almost always use it with the keyboard. I am not sure MS wanted this kind of use thouh.

But to respond to the OP's question, I'd imagine that while it would indeed be possible to type on one's lap, it would be at least a bit uncomfortable like trying to type on a traditional laptop (well, t least I always seem to find it uncomfortable).

J515OP

Super Moderator
It's strange (for me, that is), but I don't find myself even attempting to type save for when I am at a desk. In fact, it is even more strange that I don't find myself attempting to use the Surface as a tablet! I seem to using it more like a laptop, that is to say, I almost always use it with the keyboard. I am not sure MS wanted this kind of use thouh.

But to respond to the OP's question, I'd imagine that while it would indeed be possible to type on one's lap, it would be at least a bit uncomfortable like trying to type on a traditional laptop (well, t least I always seem to find it uncomfortable).

I was also inclined to use the Surface as a laptop initially because it works so well that way. After a short time I forced myself to go tablet mode only. After the first couple of days I have yet to switch back to being a laptop mode user (not really doing any serious productivity on it). I have been using it flat on my lap (if using on my lap at all) and using the on screen keyboard for the most part. It definitely works great in both modes and it you don't need to type 40+wpm or use Excel the on screen keyboard is fine for most basic text entry tasks (surfing the net, FB, email, etc.).

Sin

I have my netbook or my work laptop, if I want a laptop. I have used my Surface on my lap and it works fine, but I prefer to use it as a tablet most of the time. I tend to use my Surface for general browsing and being a bit more mobile out of the office, so the tablet form factor fits well. I find the split on-screen keyboard to be pretty good for most tasks, but I'm not usually working heavy data entry tasks either. I used Excel on my Surface the other day to record surface finish results while I was out at a vendor reviewing product. Would not bother with the laptop for this situation in the past and would have just written everything down on paper and enter it on the laptop when I got back to the office. Saved me a bit of work, but did cost me sometime explaining the Surface to the owner of the vendor I was visiting. He was intrigued with the Surface RT and what I was doing.

kristalsoldier

I was also inclined to use the Surface as a laptop initially because it works so well that way. After a short time I forced myself to go tablet mode only. After the first couple of days I have yet to switch back to being a laptop mode user (not really doing any serious productivity on it). I have been using it flat on my lap (if using on my lap at all) and using the on screen keyboard for the most part. It definitely works great in both modes and it you don't need to type 40+wpm or use Excel the on screen keyboard is fine for most basic text entry tasks (surfing the net, FB, email, etc.).

I have my netbook or my work laptop, if I want a laptop. I have used my Surface on my lap and it works fine, but I prefer to use it as a tablet most of the time. I tend to use my Surface for general browsing and being a bit more mobile out of the office, so the tablet form factor fits well. I find the split on-screen keyboard to be pretty good for most tasks, but I'm not usually working heavy data entry tasks either. I used Excel on my Surface the other day to record surface finish results while I was out at a vendor reviewing product. Would not bother with the laptop for this situation in the past and would have just written everything down on paper and enter it on the laptop when I got back to the office. Saved me a bit of work, but did cost me sometime explaining the Surface to the owner of the vendor I was visiting. He was intrigued with the Surface RT and what I was doing.

In response to you both....

Well, yes, I agree - especially the parts in bold. In my specific case, my work requires me to read (that is to say, use reference materials) and write at the same time. Having two tablets helps in this scenario - I also have the Nexus 10, which I use mostly for reference work and for watching movies (usually when I go to bed). The biggest advantage of having something like the Surface is that I can now leave my laptop (which is quite heavy) back at home. The Surface now allows me to move around a lot more while carrying very little weight. Quite literally, my bag contains the Surface, the Nexus 10, a paper pad to make very quick notes and a couple of pens and pencils. This is a million times better than earlier when I would carry the Nexus, my laptop (with charger - since the battery of the laptop lasted about 4 hours at the max and if I was being careful), a note pad etc. But I should also note that if I am not in bed, I use the Surface for browsing instead of the Nexus - most of the time that is.