What's new

Software/techniques for keeping SP3 clean?

CC268

Hey guys,

I know this is an opinionated question (as it is with many software questions).

I upgraded to Windows 10 and I would like to keep my SP3 as clean as possible. In the past I have used CCleaner, but that was it.

Are there any programs or techniques that you guys think are essential/helpful to keeping a PC in the cleanest possible state? Is CCleaner worth using?

leeshor

CCleaner is good, but it misses some things especially under \appdata\local\temp which you first need to make visible. The is also the disk clean up in the disk properties screen, Then there is also the link in my signature.

OP
C

CC268

So a combination of CCleaner and the Disk Cleanup tool would be the best route? (I think you can clear those temp files with the Disk Cleanup tool as well?)

leeshor

Even disk cleanup, advanced, and CCleaner doesn't clean everything, including the aforementioned temp folder. If you install and uninstall programs using Revo Uninstaller leave a lot less clutter to clean up later and even cleans the registry.

Something many people don't know is that if you install, then uninstall a program, then install it again using the program's install/uninstall not only does it leave lots of stuff behind when you first uninstalled it - it doubles the entries kin the registry when you installed it again.

OP
C

CC268

Yea I think I am going to by Revo Uninstaller Pro - everyone seems to speak highly of it.

Do you think it is worth using/having CCleaner? Or should I just stick with Disk Cleanup and cleaning the temp folders (which I am not sure how to do, but I can do a little more research)?

leeshor

CCleaner will find things the other utilities mentioned here won't find so it pays to use it once a month or so. I have yet to find any cleaning utility that will do everything. I can always find more manually hunting for it.

OP
C

CC268

Alright I will use a combination of the things you mentioned:
1. CCleaner
2. Disk Cleanup
3. Manually cleaning temp folders

As far as the temp folder, what is the best way to access those and which ones are you referring to?

leeshor

Alright I will use a combination of the things you mentioned:
1. CCleaner
2. Disk Cleanup
3. Manually cleaning temp folders

As far as the temp folder, what is the best way to access those and which ones are you referring to?
You left out Revo Uninstaller.

For instructions on disk cleaning look at the link in my signature lest I repeat myself once again.