What's new

Solution, dual monitor issue using Surface Book and dock

debzy

I have two monitors, 1 is a 4K and the other is not. When hooking up to the dock I could only get one to work at a time. Turns out you cannot use two HDMI connections. I left the HDMI connection in my 4K and put a VGA to mini display port on the other. Now they both work. I think there are others out there with this problem? If so, here's a solution. I am able to use the full 4K resolution too. It's so nice to have both monitors working! I can also use the monitor on the surface book. Now, back to work!

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

Since you posted this in its own thread I changed your title. Had it been a follow-up in an existing thread and solved an existing problem in that thread, I would have left it alone. Hope this is in fact a solution for someone.

picardsm

This is simply a work-around. Not a solution.
What if you had (2) 4K monitors?
It was pitched to us as dual display dock supporting 4K
I tried this work around and it is still a little funky

gbo323

Debzy, I have a Surface Book w/Performance Base and two monitors that connect to the Surface Dock via HDMI to Mini-Display adapters. I don't use my Surface screen as a 3rd monitor. EVERY time I log off and on OR boot up, I get all kinds of crazy errors on the screen and it takes up to 5-10 minutes for it to set...

Until I read your post...I switched out one HDMI for a VGA cable connection to Mini-Display adapter cable....and VOILA! It works as it should. No more hiccups.

Sounds like MS needs to put out a Surface Dock driver update. Thank you for sharing your experience. I was very frustrated prior to finding your fix.

Glenn,
Dallas, TX

I have two monitors, 1 is a 4K and the other is not. When hooking up to the dock I could only get one to work at a time. Turns out you cannot use two HDMI connections. I left the HDMI connection in my 4K and put a VGA to mini display port on the other. Now they both work. I think there are others out there with this problem? If so, here's a solution. I am able to use the full 4K resolution too. It's so nice to have both monitors working! I can also use the monitor on the surface book. Now, back to work!