What's new

[SOLVED] booting wifi connects but no internet

SteveL

Sorry if this has discussed before but my searches just don't work.
For 6-8 months I have had a minor but irritating problem booting. my 2017 SfcPro i7 will make a connection to my router but then not make an internet connection.
I have updates on. I tried many suggestions involving IPv6 and network troubleshooter. It appears to be a timing bug in the drivers and happens about 1 in 4 boots. My solution is to disconect/re-connect.
Has anyone had this problem, fixed it and can share what they learned?
Happy Trails

wpcoe

Oddly enough today when I booted my SP2017 I can't access internet, either. I can connect to both WiFi and wired (RJ45 to Surface Dock) networks with working internet* but my SP2017 can't access internet. ???

I turned off firewall (Comodo and Windows Defender) and anti-virus (Avast) but that made no difference.

No warning symbols in Device Manager for any devices.

* other computer connects to internet via same WiFi/wired networks and iPhone connects to internet via same WiFi

[edited to add:]
After further Google research, I tried the following commands from elevated Command Prompts:

netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int tcp reset all
netsh int ipv4 reset all
netsh int ipv6 reset all
netsh int httpstunnel reset all
ipconfig /flushdns

While the exclamation mark (!) disappeared from the WiFi icon, there still is no actual internet access.

I also tested using specified DNS Servers (Google's) to no avail. I've since reverted the IPv4 settings back to "automatic."

[edited yet again:}

SOLVED:

Eureka! I didn't let it get the best of me. I used Windows Restore -- had to do it from a command prompt in Safe Mode because Windows Restore wouldn't work in "regular" mode -- and restored the system to a point two days ago. Now all is well with internet access. Ahhh........... :)

Last edited:
OP
SteveL

SteveL

I have still not found a way to get my WiFi to start at boot correctly. It now is almost always showing connected no internet. For me to use a system restore is not a good solution. I would have to try to go back to last Oct or Nov when I started to see this problem. I ran an sfc on the installation and it didn't find any problems. I need to be able to uninstall and reinstall some aspect of the wifi system to make this work again or do another factory reset. That would be the third time since June and I don't like that because of all the installation and setting issues it brings.
Does anyone know a way to get Windows WiFi stuff to reinstall?