What's new

[Solved] What is the mini DisplayPort spec on the Pro?

machistmo

I'm trying to figure out what is it they could be doing that is causing this delay. It's not like when they are trying their hand at a cell phone or tablet, so they try it out first in Asia before the US market; this is a monitor, so what's holding things up??!!

I even try the online chat at Dell.com to see what they say and, not surprisingly, the response is, "Sorry, it is not yet available here in the US."

Well I bought the Dell S2340T from the Microsoft Store for the lower price of $649 when Dell has it listed at 699. I mean whatever Dell!?!.

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

Well I bought the Dell S2340T from the Microsoft Store for the lower price of $649 when Dell has it listed at 699. I mean whatever Dell!?!.
That's exactly my only sliver of hope in that maybe the reason it is taking so long for the US launch is that they need to get out to their various partners, who would hopefully be selling it for less. :)

mph

Hey Nuspieds ,

hanks for letting us know.
Great info to probably buy an addition to my Dell U2711 :)

/e: Concerning the U3014 Availability in the US: at least you got a surface pro :(
thinking of importing one by now - MS messing it upp once again (the Z-Device strikes again)

Last edited:
OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

So I finally received my beautiful Dell U3014 with DisplayPort 1.2 input! :big smile:

As I was placing the order, I chatted with the agent and asked if the included cable is DP 1.2 (you never know, because by default DP 1.2 is disabled on the monitor). The agent confirmed that it was, indeed, DP 1.2; furthermore, a Mini DP to DP cable was included, so it was perfect for the Surface!

HD_Dude

So I finally received my beautiful Dell U3014 with DisplayPort 1.2 input! :big smile:

As I was placing the order, I chatted with the agent and asked if the included cable is DP 1.2 (you never know, because by default DP 1.2 is disabled on the monitor). The agent confirmed that it was, indeed, DP 1.2; furthermore, a Mini DP to DP cable was included, so it was perfect for the Surface!

Congrats! And...if you have the chance, love to see a photo of the two.

Thanks

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

When I placed the order last week, I chatted with the agent and asked if the included cable is DP 1.2 (you never know, because by default DP 1.2 is disabled on the monitor). The agent confirmed that it was, indeed, DP 1.2; furthermore, a Mini DP to DP cable was included, so it was perfect for the Surface!

I proceeded with the setup by shifting my U3011 to the left and placing the U3014 directly in front of me as my primary monitor. I daisy-chained the U3011 to the U3014 and by default the U3011 was duplicating the U3014. So I now turned to the manual for the DP 1.2 daisy-chaining setup instructions and I found this note:

NOTE: U3014 support the DP MST feature. To make use of this feature, your PC Graphics Card must be certified to DP1.2 with MST option.
After following the instructions, sadly the daisy-chaining didn't work; my U3011 was never recognized and it remained just duplicating the video of my U3014. :cry:

I did lots of research over the weekend, but nothing was promising. So this morning I got online with Intel and they confirmed that the HD Graphics 4000 is DisplayPort 1.1. Thus, we are definitely out of luck with this version of the Surface to be able to use DP 1.2 with daisy-chaining capabilities. :cry:

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

Congrats! And...if you have the chance, love to see a photo of the two.

Thanks
How odd that this board allowed you to quote me even though I was just previewing my post and had not yet hit Submit! :)

Here's a pic of the two monitors:
Dell Monitors.png

J515OP

Super Moderator
Well that is a bummer. How come nobody could get Intel to say that initially? I thought this had been asked and asked of both MS and Intel now all of a sudden it is a simple "Sorry the HD4000 is 1.1?" Strange and disappointing. Why is Intel integrating pre-2009 specs into their chips and then at the same time trying to push an up-spec Thunderbolt? Stranger and stranger.

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

Unbelievable, isn't it? Totally baffling as to why a graphics card of today would not support DP 1.2.

Anyway, the only thing I can think of is that maybe GPUs are still a new area for them, so this is the result. On the other had, I did find a post from a guy who was able to successfully daisy-chain exactly like my setup, but he had the AMD (ATI) card, so there you have it.

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

so your large monitors are in mirror mode only as result of having Display port 1.1 - is this correct?
They are beautiful needless to say.
Correct: Mirror only.

So my next step is to connect the U3011 via USB. I ordered the adapter and it should be here tomorrow.

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

I thought this had been asked and asked of both MS and Intel now all of a sudden it is a simple "Sorry the HD4000 is 1.1?" Strange and disappointing.
By the way, I created another support ticket with MS, just for the sake of closing the loop on the matter. I can't wait to hear what they have to say when they call me back.

It took a bit of effort, too, because the Answer Tech was trying to tell me that daisy-chaining is done only via USB. Pathetic.

I had to send her the link to the DisplayPort.org website. At that point, I told her to immediately escalate this up to the Care team, since they were the ones who told me that DP 1.2 was supported. I copied-and-pasted the contents of that previous support email and then she escalated it.

So let's see what they have to say; they should be getting back to me by the end of the week.