What's new

Some hardware and software troubles

Flakky

Hi everyone!

I have SP2 128gb + Type Cover 2 and I have some problems with them(I will make one thread).

First problem is that coolers are VERY loud, when I use graphic programs(PS, Maya) or games. So, when coolers are spinning very fast, they produce very loud noise, even louder then my table PC with 5 coolers(. It hasnt been dropped or hit or gotten any physical damage, so I have no idea, why they are so loud.

The second thing with my Type 2. When I hold Any key for about 5-10 seconds, and then release, the key continues to stay pressed. No, it doesnt get stuck. its something with software. The key can be unpress, if I tap on it one more time. But this is very annoying, because I dont even know, what key holds. I have to hit everything, that I was holding in last minute ><

Oh, and also I have this error.
http://yadi.sk/d/pPhhE0VfNTo6r
It appears when I turn On my SP2, or try to update wacom drivers :(

GoodBytes

Yes, it's not suppose to be really loud, although you should hear them to some level. If you can return the Surface Pro 2 and buy another one, I would, to rule out faulty fans.
But yes, it isn't a gaming system, and Intel integrated graphics is completely inefficient when pushed, meaning it will create a lot of heat. It's the reverse of discrete graphics cards, where they consume a lot of power when you do nothing demanding, but when you need performance, the performance/Watts ratio greatly increases providing you with incredible efficiency.

OP
F

Flakky

Yes, it's not suppose to be really loud, although you should hear them to some level. If you can return the Surface Pro 2 and buy another one, I would, to rule out faulty fans.
But yes, it isn't a gaming system, and Intel integrated graphics is completely inefficient when pushed, meaning it will create a lot of heat. It's the reverse of discrete graphics cards, where they consume a lot of power when you do nothing demanding, but when you need performance, the performance/Watts ratio greatly increases providing you with incredible efficiency.
Yes, i know that. But its very loud! It seems, that cooler is hitting something :( And i do not know, how to fix that :(

GoodBytes

Yes, i know that. But its very loud! It seems, that cooler is hitting something :( And i do not know, how to fix that :(

If it under the return period, I would return the device. Anything that I see wrong with I buy, I just return it, and get another one.
If it's outside the return period, then go to a Microsoft Store to have it replaced. If you have none near by, then I am afraid it will be RMA, and you'll get a refurbished unit, which hopefully won't have scratches.

Ruffles

With my surface pro 1, I had a ball bearing or something fail on one of the fans and it got much louder. MS replaced the tablet for me under warranty. Contact them.

jollywombat

I had issues with the fans on my first SP2. A bearing was bad on left fan and would get out of alignment and start making a loud grinding noise when the fans would have to spin up to a faster speed for cooling. Tapping on the fan location firmly would cause it to go back into place for a short while.

I took it into a MS store to have it swapped, but since it was outside of the immediate 30 day warranty, they wanted to do the RMA process for it which would have taken 4+ weeks. I had purchased the MS Complete warranty when I got the unit however, so I just paid the $50 deductible and got a brand new sealed unit in the store right away as the hassle of the RMA process and getting a refurbished unit was not worth it.

OP
F

Flakky

Well, looks like i got troubles.. Because I have bought mine throu Ebay. And well, there is one MS service in Moscow, but i moved in another Country last month, and hereis no services :'( Sooooo... I dont know, what to do :(

jollywombat

Well, you have a base warranty on the SP2 regardless for a year, so I would suggest contacting the MS support center and opening a ticket with them for an RMA of the unit. They offer an advance RMA as well should you wish where they will send you a replacement unit first so you do not have to be without a working unit; You do have to have a creditcard to hold a deposit on the unit until they receive the defective one back.

OP
F

Flakky

Soo.. What about Type Cover? Ive recovered my OS to initial state, but it didn't help with stucking keys(Read first post) :(

Is that means, that my Cover has some hardware issues and I need to repair it?

jollywombat

The "stuck Keys" issue is a bug/feature of the type covers (possibly touch as well, unsure as I did not test these). I went to best buy as well as the microsoft store and tried this out on multiple type covers when I first got my SP2 with type cover and experienced the issue. All of them appear to do it, no one had a reason they could give for it other than an undocumented feature per one MS rep :). There are several threads floating around on this board discussing it